Chapter 6: Touching Reunions

Start from the beginning

The principal greeted her with kindness and caught her up on where everything in the school was, not that she needed the reminder. The principal then handed her a sheet of paper and said, "this is your homeroom number. It's on the second floor close to the stair well." She thanked him and went on her way to class.

She walked up the stairwell next to the office. Once she got to the top she travelled down the second floor hall, counting the doors as she went. When she got to the room she was directed to she paused. The door was closed and class had already started.

She folded the piece of paper and shoved it into her backpacks side pocket. Then she took a deep breath. 'This is it'

Izumina took a step forward and pushed the door open. She quietly stuck her head through the doorway, not fully entering the room, almost as if waiting for an invitation in. Inside the teacher looked up and noticed her standing there. "You must be our new student. Come in." The teacher said.

Izumina walked into the room and greeted the teacher at the front of the class. The teacher, who was a woman with blonde hair and glasses, welcomed Izumina and asked her to introduce herself to the students.

"May I have your attention everyone," she said, gaining the classes interest. "We have a new student joining us today. She's new so please make her feel welcome." She turned to Izumina. "Why don't you tell us your name and a little about yourself?"

"Oh ok," Izumina muttered in response to the teachers request. She turned her body so she was facing her classmates. "My name is Izumina-um, I mean Kimino Izumina." She corrected herself, remembering how in Japan you're supposed to introduce yourself last name first. 'Boy, this is going to take some getting used to,' she thought. She scanned the faces of the kids in the front row, and noticed that some of them were familiar; however, she couldn't remember what their names were. "Um... I'm ten years old, and I just moved back from Quebec," she continued.

The teacher nodded in satisfaction at her response. "We'll my name is Mrs. Hamata. If you need anything or have any questions please feel free to come to me." The teacher introduced herself to Izumina kindly, then asked, "Does anyone have any questions for Izumina?"

A couple hands rose and kids began chaotically yelling questions. "Where's Quebec?" "Can you speak French?" "Weren't we in the same kindergarten class?" "Why did you move away?" "Why did you come back?" "What's your quirk?"

Izumina fumbled to find words to answer the uproar of questions. Her shy side took over as she answered with only, "oh... well...I'm... uh... the things is..." and staring at her feet. She twiddled her thumbs as her words became more and more hushed.

Noticing Izumina's uncomfortableness, Mrs. Hamata raised her arms in the air and said, "Okay quiet down everyone. Izumina can answer any questions you have at lunch, but now we need to get back to today's lesson. I expect you all to show her kindness when welcoming her back. Now, please turn to page five of your textbooks." At that the class sighed and began opening their books. Mrs. Hamata leaned down and pointed to an empty desk near the middle of the class. "You can take a seat right over there Ms. Kimino."

Izumina nodded and made her way towards the desk. For the rest of the period she took detailed notes and tried to read the types of people in her class. There were the loud ones who liked to participate, the know it alls, the ones that were barely able to stay awake, and the egotistical ones, who thought they were above whatever lesson Mrs. Hamata taught. The egotistical one that stood out most was a boy at the side of the room with ash-blonde hair. Izumina could've sworn she recognized him, but could never get a good look at his face from where she was sitting. Finally, in a category of his own was a green haired boy with a mess of freckles on his face, who sat in the desk next to Izumina. He took detailed notes, similarly to how Izumina did, and would shyly raise his hand whenever he had an answer to a question. Unfortunately, he would raise his hand so low that the teacher never called on him.