45 ❀ Strongly considering

Start from the beginning

     I sober at the offer, staring at the King as if he might disappear at any second. He can't be serious, can he? He has to be joking.

     My mind goes to Klepto straight away, wishing she could be by my side.

     It isn't a surprise that she's visiting her brothers for awhile this morning. She left hours ago. She does that a lot, and I only allowed it because Ace went with her today. I usually go with her instead, but I have a lot on my mind lately.

     The thing that is bugging me the most these past few days has been my Mother and the dream that took control of my life. Her screams still pierce my soul as they echo through my body like a warning, a bad omen.

     I haven't had a single dream since then, and I don't know whether to be grateful or disappointed.

     "Of course you don't have to accept right away. This is something you should think about. It is a big decision." Savannah is quick to pipe up, and I can tell she doesn't exactly want me to join their pack as the new Gamma.

     It's clear as day she's not over the death of their last Gamma quit yet. Apparently they were close. My heart goes out to her.

     Veiler, however, is ready to move on.

     "I don't really know a lot about your pack." I say absently, flicking my glance to Alpha Veiler nervously, gauging his reaction.

     I don't know exactly what I was expecting. He is always glaring or completely aloof, and today is no different.

     "Well, there are reasons behind that. We don't want pack information widely spread." He chews on the inside of his cheek in thought. "What do you already know?"

     The question makes sense, he wants to know what information an outsider has on his pack. I can't blame him for asking.

     But his commanding Alpha tone has me a bit unsettled.

       "Your pack is in Montana, right?" It's weak, but it's literally all I know.

     His eyebrows pull together and he crosses his enormous arms over his chest while he watches me in silence for a fleeting moment.

     "That's it?" Savannah asks.

     "That's it." I confirm.

     Savannah nods, she seems very pleased with this answer and smiles, grinning over at her Alpha like she just won the lottery.

     "That's great. It seems we've done a good job, eh Cedric?" It's strange hearing the King's first name spoken out loud. I've heard he doesn't like to be addressed by it.

     "Yes. It would seem so." He supplies, sounding bored. He isn't as happy as his Beta about my lack of knowledge. I don't know if he's ever happy.

     If he is, he could've fooled me.

     "We'll only let you know more if you show actual interest in joining, as in you're considering it. Strongly considering it." Savannah insists quickly, her condescending tone noted by me.

     I thought she was a nice female, but apparently I'm not good enough for her pack. It puts a bad taste in my mouth.

      "Believe it or not, I am considering joining your pack. Strongly considering." I narrow my eyes, moving my head back and forth. "Of course I'll have to talk to Klepto about it first, and my team. Reid is obviously leaving the Guard as well now that he has Stacey. And if we did join, Klepto and I would bring her little brothers. That's a deal breaker."