18 ❀ Shortcake

Ezra POV

          Ezra POV

      "Ezra? Earth to Ezra! Hellllooo??"

     A tan hand suddenly drops in front of my line of vision, waving up and down right next to my face. I reel back with a gruff sound.

     "What?!" I snap out, I watch Ace's face perk up in a large grin at the reaction he got out of me.

     "Wow, I was just going to ask if you wanted your muffin. Jeez." He chuckles, looking to Hyrum and his older brother before turning back to me, "You were gone man, lost in outer space. What's up with you?"

     "You can have it, I don't care." Is my reply, I look down at the table, ignoring his other question while I play with the scrambled eggs on my plate. I am not in the mood to talk about Klepto... well... I never am.

     I haven't seen her at all for the past week, and I am getting sick with worry. My reasoning is automatically to assume she was fine, and that I'm just being stupid. Paranoid.

But, I feel like there has to be something more.

    My gut tells me everything is not just fine and dandy.

     Ace reaches for my muffin, scooping it up and peeling off the wrapper in one smooth motion. He takes a huge bite, his cheeks distending while he chews. His green eyes watch me with amusement, and I look away again.

    My teammates aren't stupid, they know me well enough to figure out when something is bothering me.

     Despite being with them 24/7, Reid still hasn't talked to me. It isn't one sided though, because I avoid him as well. We are both good at holding grudges, it's almost a competition of sorts.

    To prove my point, he gets up from where he sits, taking his plate and dumping his food before stacking it with the other dishes. We all watch as he walks out of the small pack cafeteria, not a word out of his mouth about where he's going.

     I roll my eyes. His behavior reminds me of a pup throwing a tantrum. Typical Reid.

     "He's not good with forgiveness, give him time." Ace says through his mouthful of blueberry muffin, small crumbs flying in the air with his words.

     I smile ruefully at him.

    "I have nothing to be sorry for, that's the thing." I assure him, but I avoid even looking at Hyrum as he bores his gaze into me. He knows we're both to blame here, but he isn't going to hear me admit it.

     Ace sighs and shakes his head.

     "I pressed him to tell me what the hell happened between the two of you, but he said I'll 'figure it out eventually' or some dumb shit like that. It's driving me bonkers! You guys know how much I hate secrets." He says in exasperation, glaring at me playfully.