twenty three.

For the first time in weeks, it was absolutely pouring with rain. The droplets hammered against the window pane so loudly it would've gone Tommy flashbacks to the war. Finn mused at the irony of the rain, as it perfectly matched how his situation was. He sat in a hospital ward next to Everly, just the two of them in there as they watched Penny sleep peacefully.

"She's purple." Everly noted as she stared at her sister and the evidence littered around her body.

Penny had bruises exactly the same shape as fingers on her chin, and one large mark around her neck. She looked so pale and delicate, Finn had prevented Everly from climbing into bed with her in case she snapped into pieces. Penny was so restless, she was constantly wincing in her sleep and whimpering. The sight was breaking Finn's heart.

"I should've been there." He sighed and glanced at his girlfriend. "I should've been waiting for her like I usually am. It's my fucking fault."

"No it's not, you didn't hurt her." Everly clambered onto Finn's lap and wrapped her arms around his neck, bringing him into the most pure and heartfelt hug he's ever received.

"I let him hurt her when I should've been looking after her." Finn tried his best not to cry.

"She still loves you. She'll always love you." Everly reassured him.

The pair remained in their hug as they sat and waited for Penny to wake. As he pondered, Finn realised that the only two people in the room were the only two people she really had. For such a beautiful girl, she had an ugly story to go with her.

Everly was a miniature version of her big sister. They had the same big blue eyes, the same doll like mouth and nose sculpted by an angel. Penny was everything that she envisioned to be perfect, and she worshipped her sister like a deity. Finn too worshipped the ground Penny walked on, and the two of them combined loved her more than anything could describe.

A nurse entered the room as unnoticeable as she could, letting the door soft silently behind her. She was followed by Tommy Shelby, who came bursting through the doors as loudly as humanly possible.

"Tommy shut up she's asleep, stupid cunt." Finn snapped at his brother.

"Stupid cunt." Everly reiterated and stuck her tongue out, much to Finn's horror and amusement.

"I've just come to check on Penny whilst she's asleep." The nurse kindly whispered and gave an assuring smile to Finn and Everly.

Tommy stood at the end of the bed, looking at Penny with pity in his eyes.

"Francis Renton." Tommy revealed. "Served in the Royal Scot Fusiliers during the war. Served in jail for money laundering, grievous bodily harm and defacing private property."

"What did he do to her?" Finn asked cautiously.

"We don't know. We know what he's done to the other girl's however." Tommy spoke sombrely.

"Tell me." Finn firmly demanded.

"You don't want to know-" Tommy began but Finn cut him off.

"This is the girl I'm in love with, I have a right to know. Tell me." Finn spat.

Everly got off his lap and went to help the nurse look after her big sister.