eight.

Blinding sunlight ripped through the netted curtains Polly chose to hang in front of the window. The streak of light burnt a stripe into Penny's cheek as she lay in exactly the same position she fell asleep in, wedged between Finn's legs with her head on his stomach. The two of them fitted together like the two final pieces of a jigsaw.

Mortification washed over Penny like a tidal wave, making her feel sick. She regretted coming over to his house and imposing herself on him without warning. She was worried she was becoming to emotionally invested in the boy. The only positive was that she didn't cry in front of him, that truly would've been the final straw for her reputation.

She carefully removed herself from their jigsaw, instantly feeling the cold as she sat up. She slipped on her shoes that she'd kicked off at some point in the evening without even realizing and picked her coat up off the hook by the front door.

Penny watched as Finn slept so peacefully. His ginger hair was brushed into bizarre positions and his mouth was ajar. His suit was creased in beautiful patterns and the hand that was once nestled into her hair was now resting on his chest. He didn't look as if he had the weight of responsibility that had been untimely dropped on him after his brother's death, but she knew every second he was awake it was playing on his young mind.

Tiptoeing over to him so not to wake him, she smoothed down a spike of curly hair and sat down on the armrest of the sofa close to his head.

"What are you doing to me?" She whispered.

Penny had never fallen in love. She'd fallen on lust many times with a variety of men, but she'd never experienced the heart melting and heart shattering turbulence of being in truly in love with somebody. She wished for nothing more than to have someone she could gaze at for hours, to appreciate for everything they deserve and love them with every fibre in her body. She worried she didn't know how to love.

"I'm sorry." She admitted quietly to him, apologising for her visit the night before.

His eyelids flickered and the corner of his mouth twitched, but no more movement was detected. Finn was almost comatose he was so deeply asleep. His new stepped up job was taking it out of him more than he cared to admit. The night he spent with Penny felt like the first time he'd fully relaxed since John passed. It was just the two of them, no need to be on standby in case of attack.

"I'll see you around." She whispered once more before leaning down and pecking him on the forehead.

As she stood up, a hand clamped itself around her wrist. She winced as Finn's fingers landed exactly in the same spot that the aggressive customer the previous night had bruised her. In the sunlight, her purple bruises and bloodied nose was more prominent than ever.

"Don't go." His voice was deeper than usual thanks to his exhaustion. Penny would be lying if she said she didn't find it attractive.

"I have to. Jules will be worried." She replied.

Just like the night before, Finn's thumb was rubbing over her bruises ever so lightly.

"He can worry some more." Finn argued, his eyes still not opening out of fear over the sunlight.

"You need sleep Finn." She sighed.