Chapter 22

We spent the rest of the summer at the beach house.  Nothing too exciting happened.  We just got jobs, made some money, and tried to make me feel like I didn't need to cling to him.  I did get better, but it still scared me when we had to split up for a couple of hours.  That fear of losing him wouldn't go away.

I woke up when Richie pressed his lips against my temple. 

"Time for school, babe." He said quietly before sitting up.

"Five minutes." I yawned, failing at an attempt to stretch.

"If you sleep any longer you'll have less time to get ready, then you'll be stressed, and you'll have a bad day." Richie said as he pulled on a tshirt.  "So, no five minutes."

"Okay, Mom." I groaned and rolled my eyes.

He just smiled at me and walked across the hall to the bathroom. 

"Have I ever said how cool I think it is that our mothers basically let us live together?" He asked when he came back in a minute later.

"Well, they know I'll panic if we're split up for long." I shrugged, slightly embarrassed by how much I needed him.

"Yeah, but they let us do this before you had that dream and got all paranoid." He added, "I mean, I'm definitely not complaining."

"I guess we just have some super cool moms."

Richie and I had third period together.  Chemistry.   I thought that was hilarious.

We'd been in school for about a month, so all of the 'get to know you' and syllabus bullshit was out of the way.  Richie and I weren't lab partners.  But mine was out today, so the teacher let me pick which group to join.  Obviously I chose to work with the cutest boy in the class. 

"Wait, baby, let me." Richie said as I reached for a beaker of some chemical.

"I'm not six.  I can do it."

"I don't want you to burn yourself." He protested.

"Well what about you?"

"I'll do it." smiled Hannah, the other girl we were working with. "No need to argue."

After we finished the first part of the lab, the teacher had to explain the second half.  We weren't talking, we were looking at him and listening.  But Richie's hand was resting on top of mine.  It was the smallest form of PDA possible, but the teacher still had a problem with it.

"Noah and Richie," he said, causing the entire class to look at us, "Please separate."

Richie gave him an offended glare.

"I said separate.   Noah, how about you come work over here?"

I started blushing, not knowing how to respond.  I hadn't really gotten any better at dealing with confrontation.

"You let him pick a group." Richie said, noticing my struggle.

"That was before I realized the level of your relationship."

"Wait seriously?" Another student spoke up. "How didn't you notice before?"

At first I thought he meant it in a bad way, but then he continued talking.

"They're like, the cutest couple this school has."

"How long have you guys been dating?" Someone else asked.

"Eight months and three days." Richie said, smiling and tightening his grip on my hand.

"Aw, he knows exactly." At least three different girls squealed.