Chapter 9

A loud banging sound woke me up again.  I jumped and tried to look for where it came from, but Richie tightened his grip around my back and pulled me back down. 

"Really, Mom?" he groaned, pulling a pillow over our heads.

"The basket was heavy." she sighed. "Can you help me pick up these clothes?"

Richie got up and went to help her.  The first thing she noticed was that he was half naked.

"Oh, honey.  You used a condom, right?"

"We didn't do anything." he laughed.

"Just be safe." she said, not believing him.

"We will." he told her. "Now please keep it down.  Noah is sleeping."

We both knew that was a lie.  But I guess he just wanted her to leave.  She put her laundry in the washing machine, then went upstairs again.  Richie crawled back into bed from the end of the blanket, hovering right above me.  He grabbed me by the hips and rolled onto his back, pulling me on top of him.  I pulled my knees up and rested my head on his chest. 

"Sleep well?" he asked, kissing my forehead and running his fingers through my hair.

"I don't think I've ever slept better."  I smiled.

Even though our bodies were touching,  I still wanted to get closer.  I just felt so safe.  That feeling was all I wanted.

But soon, I heard my text tone.  I let out a long sigh and moved so I could pick it up off the ground.  

Mom: Get home please! Granny stopped by and wants to see you.

I loved my grandma, but did she really have to see me now?

"I have to go listen to my Grandma talk about her back problems for an hour." I said, turning back to Richie.

I picked up my clothes and put them back on.  Richie stood up with the blanket around his shoulders and hugged me. 

"What time should I pick you up in the morning?" he asked.

"Are you my new ride?"

"Yep.  Sara is out of a job."

"She'll be happy." I said.  "She'll get an extra half hour to sleep every morning."

"So, is 7:45 okay?" he asked.

"Perfect." 

He gave me a quick kiss, then released me from the blanket.  I started walking up the stairs, but Richie told me to wait.

"Yeah?" I said as I turned around.

He just smiled and shook his head.

"Nothing.  Nevermind." he sighed. "I'll see you in the morning."

When I got back to my house, I stopped at the front door.  I just needed a second to breathe.  All of this happiness was stressful.  I walked inside and found my mom and grandma in the living room.  Bryce was in the kitchen. 

"Hey, Granny." I said as she stood up to hug me.

My grandma only lived ten minutes away.  So it wasn't like I never got to see her.  But every time she came over seemed to go the same way.  We would hug.  Then we'd choose a topic and talk about that for a while.  Then she would complain about whatever part of her body was hurting her the most.  And then she'd leave.

"You smell different.  New cologne?"  she asked as she let me go.

"Uh, something like that."

That's when I realized that Richie was lingering in the threads of my tshirt.