Twenty Three

***

It was late at night when Zayn finally finished his penalty of being late again. He was tired as well as empty to go on another day without Harry, who hasn't showed up for work for an entire week now. 

Harry's not at his flat nor does he shows up to work anymore, it was like Harry disappeared in the face of the Earth. He hasn't called Zayn or texted him, which was only expected, but Zayn hasn't been sleeping well without knowing where Harry is, and it's driving him mad.

So, on the fourth day when Paul notices Zayn going mental over Harry's disappearance, he finally decided to take pity on him and reveal Harry's location, saying that Harry needs to take a leave because his sister is sick, so he's currently in Southampton with his sister.

But Zayn knows that was only a facade because when he texted Gemma if she was all right, she replied with 'What are you talking about? and 'What did you do to him, Zayn?' which made Zayn throw his phone on his bed in guilt, because he can tell that Gemma was upset with him as well.

After the introduction of Jo to Harry, Zayn was on the brink of having a panic attack with the way Harry turned to Zayn so deliberately as if he can't believe what he's hearing, and it made his heart constrict when Harry's chest heaved so rapidly and his eyes turned glassy, and before Zayn knows it, Harry was running down Zayn's flat and out of the door. He was too immobilized to follow Harry.

With a heavy heart of not having seen or heard from Harry for days, he still continues to do what he normally does even when everything in him is screaming for him to go to Southampton and show up to Gemma's doorstep and apologized to Harry.

Zayn was still deep in thought when he left the theater. He was still trying so hard not to think about Harry while he locks the cinema when he suddenly feels a figure behind him. His heart almost jumped out of its place when he saw Harry standing on the sidewalk, with his eyes closed as if he has been waiting for Zayn for so long. When he heard Zayn shuffle, his eyes opened and Zayn almost crumple to the ground when he saw Harry's red-rimmed eyes that manages to tug at every single of Zayn's heartstrings.

"Harry." Zayn says so quietly as if his name was a secret between them.

"I-I." He stammers and it looks like he has been awake for days with his red tired eyes and slump figure "I don't get it. How could you not tell me?" He says in a voice that sounds so detached as if he's dissociating himself from the whole world. "Do you know how horrible I have felt this past few days? Do you know how many nights I didn't get to sleep? Do you know how many times my sister thought I was dying?"

"Harry." Zayn tries again, his voice imploring "Let me explain."

"I can't believe you." Harry shakes his head, his voice and stare seems like it has been robbed of its usual glow "I don't think I could take another round of feeling like this, Zayn." He gasps, clutching his chest.

"I'm so sorry." He says with a hint of panic in his tone.

"How...How can you-" He stutters "How can you even have a fiance?" Then he looks at Zayn with such distress that it made him look away.

"I-"

"Look at me, you twat." He cries "You fucking owe me that."

Zayn looks at him, with discomfort and remorse.

"I didn't mean for this to happen." He whispers.