Chapter Four

P.O.V - Katie

 "We did." I say.

"Was it a nice nap?" Jerad says like were speaking in a code.

"It was a great nap." Alex says.

We walk over to the couch. I don't feel that sad anymore. It's not because I don't love him but just because I didn't have a good relationship with him. Jenna knows this. My mom knew this. Even he knew this. But that's just a family matter.

"You don't seem sad anymore." Jerad says. "Arn't you sad that your dad dies."

I start tearing up again of a memory that I had stuffed in the back of my mind that I have now found once again. I run into my room and I lock the door behind me. I cna't let them see me cry. Not over this. Not like this.

I hear a sound at the door and realize that someone is trying to get in. When they realize that the door is locked they decide to just knock.

"Katie?" It's Alex.

"Just go back out there." I say through my tears. "With Jerad."

"What can I do to help?" He asks concerned.

"I need to talk to Jenna." I say. "Get Jenna."

"Okay." He says disappointed.

He leaves and I cry for a little bit until I hear another knock at the door.

"Katie? It's Jenna." She says.

"Come in." I say.

There are four keys for each room in our house so then we can get into any room even if its locked. (Our family has issues) We all have a house key chain. Jenna always has hers with her so then she doesn't have to find them.

I hear the sound of the lock unlocking and then I see the door open. Jenna walks in and closes the door behind her. Then she locks it. She sees me and lets out a sigh and walks over.

"Oh." She says softly. "I know it's hard."

"It's so hard." I say sobbing.

"Does it bring up the memory?" She asks.

I nod. "Yeah."

"We should go out there." She says.

"I don't want to."

"We don't have to talk about it out loud."

"Then how will we talk about it?"

"We could text."

"Okay."

I grab my cell phone off of my night stand where it is 50% of the time. And we walk out after I wipe off all of my tears.

When I go into the living room I am welcomed by Alex who trys to give me a hug but I put out a hand to stop him. I sit on the couch next to Jenna and she puts her arm around me and gives me a hug. Then we both turn on out phones and start texting.

*            *            *

JS: So talk to me.

KS: I'm really sad because of dad. And I have to go through this again.

JS: Can you tell me the story again?

KS: He died in a car crash 10 years ago.

JS: What can I do to help?

KS: I have now idea.

JS: Do you want some hot chocolate?

KS: Sure.

*            *            *

Jenna stands up and looks at Alex and Jerad.

"Do you guys want some water?"

"Sure." Jerad says.

"I'm good." Alex says.

"Okay." She says. "Don't talk to her. Got it?"

They both nod and Jenna walks to the kitchen.

I lay down for a few minutes while I wait for the hot chocolate. I then look at Alex and Jerad and they are both staring at me. I don't stare at Jerad though. All I look at is Alex.

He has a disappointed look on his face and probably a hole in his heart that I can't fill right now.

When Jenna comes back in she has one water bottle and gives it to Jerad. then she goes back into the kitchen and gets the hot chocolate and brings it to me. Then we go back to texting.

*            *            *

KS: So should I tell Alex?

JS: If you want to.

KS: Do you want him to know?

JS: I want him to know if you want him to.

KS: I want him to but I don't know if he'll understand.

JS: When you think that he's ready of if you're ready then you can tell him.

KS: He looks so sad.

JS: I know.

KS: What do I do?

JS: He probably wants to know that you need him and that you want him to help.

KS: But how do I do that.

JS: You could tell him.

KS: But what if I don't want to just yet.

JS: Then don't but you should still let him comfort you.

KS: I don't know. At some point we'll have to tell mom.

JS: We'll tell her when she wakes up.

KS: That's going to be so hard.

JS: When we tell mom then you can let him comfort you.

KS: Okay. But what about now?

JS: You could go out and do something.

KS: Like what?

JS: Like dinner. Or a movie.

KS: What if I don't want to go out?

JS: Then you could do something here.

KS: Like what?

JS: You could just be together and talk. But if you want to go out to a movie then we could have a double date.

KS: Yeah. Double date.

JS: Are you okay now?

KS: Yes. Thanks.

JS: No problem.

KS: Hugs?

JS: Bring it in.

*            *            *

I turn off my phone and I put it down on the night stand next to the couch. Then I carefully put down my hot chocolate. I turn around and I give Jenna a great big hug. I then turn to the boys.

"Is that how girls talk?" Jerad jokes.

"No." Jenna says. "That's just how we talk." She looks at me and smiles.

I tell Jenna to go sit by Jerad. So she stands up and sits right next to him.

"Alex, would you be kind enough to sit next to me?" I ask.

"I think that could be arranged." He says as he stands up and walks over to me.

He sits down and puts his arm around me then gives me a peck on the cheek. I snuggle up to him.

"I love you." I whisper.

"I love you too." He whispers back.