Chapter 2 - Proving Her Worth

(Kára's POV):
Knowing that the rags I wore were not suitable for the palace, I created an illusion of a far more presentable gown. I did the same with my hair, turning the blonde rat's nest into a style fit for an aristocrat. Even though the Queen knew that I was someone of a very low class, I did not want to make her embarrassed to bring me to the palace, so I did what I could to make myself presentable.

"I am going to go meet the Queen, please take care of the children while I am gone," I requested of Saga, as Aasveig was already at her place of work, sewing dresses for the rich.

"I will be most happy to, Kára, and I wish you the best of luck today, I am positive that you will prove your immense talent to the Queen and she will have no choice but to choose you for the position," she encouraged, enveloping me in a hug.

"Thank you," I whispered in her ear, grateful for her words of confidence as I was almost shaking with nerves.

After giving each of my siblings a hug goodbye, I teleported to the streets of the marketplace and began to pace nervously at our meeting place. The fears that plagued me as I tried to sleep returned to me and I began to worry that I would not be enough for the Queen. I mean, how could I be? I was nothing more than a poor girl with dead parents trying to support her five siblings with her limited magical abilities. I was wrong to think I even had a chance to become any more than that.

I had almost decided to give up on this foolish dream when I heard a voice from behind me, "I am glad that you decided to come, my dear. Shall we begin back to the palace?"

I whipped around and bowed to Queen Frigga, "Your Majesty, I would be honored to."

"Oh please stop with all of that nonsense, you may dispel with formalities and simply call me Frigga. Now please come this way, I have two horses waiting to bring us to the palace," she smiled warmly, taking my arm and leading me down the street to where two stallions were waiting with a band of palace guards.

With her normal air of confidence, Frigga mounted one of the horses and, after a moment's hesitation, I nervously did the same to the remaining horse. With a flick of the reigns, we began to trot down the streets of Asgard in a somewhat awkward silence.

"You must forgive me, my dear, I have spent this entire time without asking you your name," Frigga spoke as our horses covered the distance between the marketplace and the palace. I was a little unsettled by the stares from all of the bystanders that crowded the streets, all shocked to see the Queen with their own eyes.

"There is nothing to forgive you for, my name Kára Oddmundsdottir, it is hardly one that holds any sort of importance," I replied, averting my eyes from the crowds watching us closely.

"Nonsense, of course your name has importance. After all, it does belong to you. I would say that creates quite a bit of prestige surrounding it. You may not have been born into aristocracy, but that does not mean that you are worthless. Even I, Queen of Asgard, was raised by witches on the outskirts of the city."

"Were you truly? I must admit that I thought you had created that lie in order to prove that you have a knowledge of magic akin to mine," I admitted, nervously biting my lip.

She let out a small laugh, "no, I am afraid that that is the truth. I was lucky enough to become a soldier and it was fighting for Asgard where I first met Odin. I do believe he was stunned by my ferocity on the battlefield that he was almost killed while he was distracted. Thankfully, I was looking out for him and saved his life, which I have been doing for him ever since."

Eventually we made it to the palace, where we gave the horses to two guards would would then return them to the stables for us. Frigga quickly ushered me inside so that we could talk privately about the position she was offering me. I could not help but marvel at the gold lining every stone hallway of the palace as she led me to a room in the west wing of the palace.

"Now, my dear Kára, I would love to see a demonstration of your abilities as a sorceress," Frigga spoke as she closed the door behind us.

"Well, you know that I can transfer matter from one location to another, including myself. I-I can also conceal items and create illusions. Also, I can create balls of energy, either in a weaponized form or otherwise-"

"Then show me, my dear," she interrupted me, taking a seat in a chair positioned in the middle of the otherwise empty room.

"Which would you like to see?"

"Everything."

I took a deep breath and began my demonstration by creating a flame in the palm of my hand. Knowing that this trick was not an impressive one, I let the flame grow around me, swirling around my body, but causing no damage either to my person or the surrounding room. I then let the flame die out and created two clones of myself, one positioned on either side of my body. A shield of light appeared in the hand of one, at which I threw a ball of energy, causing it to be absorbed by the shield. I created a dagger in the hand of the other clone which I used to stab the clone with the shield, causing them both to dissipate.

Opening my hands, a convocation of eagles to swarm through the room. Closing my eyes, I willed my body to become one of them and opened them as I felt my body change and take flight. I soared across the room for minute, before causing my company to vanish and landing safely back on the ground, returning to my normal state. I created a goblet, which I then caused to melt into a puddle of liquid silver on the ground. I then used the pliable silver to form the blade of a dagger, pointing it towards myself and setting it on course to pierce my heart, but it hit the force field that I rose to protect myself, causing the blade to clang uselessly onto the ground.

"I can also read and manipulate the minds of others, however with your skill as a witch, I highly doubt my spells will be affective on you so I shall spare myself the humility," I spoke, finishing my demonstration as no other powers came to mind under so much pressure.

-

(A/N): So for this story I decided to start each chapter with a gif of our love Loki (unless that spot is instead taken by picture of an outfit) because we all need more of his gorgeous face in our lives. Anyway, I hope that you enjoyedk the second chapter!