Chapter 24

You lost track of the days once Sophia was born, but knowing the day wasn't that important anyway. Shane had gone out to go scavenging somewhere in town while you stayed inside the library that you called home with Sophia who was just over a year old now.

She had started to learn how to walk, but is only able to take a couple steps without support which you were kinda glad of because she was a curious baby and definitely got that from Daryl. She already had thick Y/H/C hair and Shane kept saying that she was looking more and more like you everyday. But there were definitely aspects of Daryl in her too, including her crystal blue eyes and her attitude. She might have not met her father before, but man she acted like him in so many ways. It used to make you cry, but now it made you smile.

You were in the middle of feeding her some canned peaches while she was strapped into her highchair by the table. To your relief she wasn't a fussy eater which was good because you didn't have a large variety of foods to give her anyway.

"Do you want more?" You asked, holding a piece of peach in your fingers as you held it in front of her and you smiled as she reached for it.

"Oh-oh." She cooed which you knew was her way of saying yes as she took the fruit and began to eat it. You watched her for a few seconds before eating a slice of peach yourself when suddenly your walkie talkie began to buzz causing you to frown.

Shane had found a couple walkie talkies in a hunting and fishing store a few months back, so the two of you always had them on you at all times for emergencies. You unhooked the walkie from belt about to ask if Shane was alright before he suddenly spoke.

"Y/N?! There's a herd, twice the size of the one from the farm. It's coming straight through the town, we have to get out of here." Shane's panicked voice called through the walkie causing your blood to run cold as you stared at your baby girl who was completely oblivious as she ate her food.

"Where are you?" You quickly questioned.

"Running. Pack what you can, we need to go now!" Shane shouted and with that you quickly strapped the walkie back onto your belt and glanced at Sophia, satisfied that she will be okay strapped into her seat for the time being.

You sprinted towards the 'living area' where all your bags and gear were located on top of the various couches as you quickly began shoving clothes, food, water, blankets and anything within arms reach into Shane's bag. You grabbed your military bag and began throwing all of Sophia's stuff inside, her clothes, toys, formula and bottles, anything you could grab you threw into the bags.

Once you had most the important stuff packed you quickly grabbed the keys to the truck along with your bags as you raced to the front door so you could load up the truck. But when you opened the door you could see the herd stumbling down the street only a couple houses down from and that's when you spotted Shane limping towards the house, the walkers right behind him. Shit. Why the hell is he limping?

You instantly dropped the bags and closed the front door as you sprinted towards him.

"Give me the axe!" You yelled, running towards Shane and he didn't hesitate as he threw the axe towards you, too exhausted to fight off the walkers himself as you caught the axe easily and began slamming it into the closer walkers.

"The bags and key are by the door, Sophia is in her highchair. Get them in the car, I will hold them off!" You yelled and Shane didn't bother to argue as he limped back towards the library while you continued taking down the walkers in the middle of the street.

You swung the axe into the skulls of the first few walkers while kicking a couple away so you only had to deal with a few at time, but the herd was massive and there was no way you'd be able to fight them all off.