chapter twenty one

Over the horizon rose a pleasant morning sun. It spread lovely light across the SageClan camp, and it happened to wake up a few members. One was Palewhisker, who despised getting up so early that the camp was mostly empty, but there was nothing he could do. Another was Bearpatch, who also clearly disliked getting up early, but he'd never say anything about it.

Adderheart also woke fairly early. He picked his way through the warrior's den, having eventually gone there the night before to sleep. Pantherleap had, too, and the two actually managed to sleep fairly close to each other. If he was being honest, he thought it was comforting. Pantherleap's fur was smooth and soft compared to some of the other warriors'.

The pale tom exited the warrior's den and spotted the two highranks as well as Birchpaw. The apprentice was seated at the corner of the camp, tail curled curtly around two shaking paws. Adderheart averted his deep gray eyes and instead looked to the fresh-kill pile. He didn't want to stare at the apprentice, as he seemed uncomfortable as it was.

He glanced to Palewhisker. The deputy swept his tail across the ground as if to indicate that he should approach. And so he did. Adderheart padded forward with a light ear twitch forming, head tipping soon after as he studied Palewhisker. Soon enough, a small patrol had gathered. Shrewclaw and Brindlebreeze padded up behind Adderheart, and Birchpaw tagged along.

"We will go on patrol near the border to ensure the rogues have gone," Palewhisker announced. However, he paused upon seeing Pantherleap approaching. The tawny tom stood tall, fur groomed to perfection.

"I'd like to come," he commented in a simple tone.

"Birchpaw, dismissed," the deputy instructed, and the apprentice's tail whisked upon the ground as if in frustration. The patched tom spun on his paw and stalked off.

What possibly could have happened on their mid-assessment yesterday?

Adderheart shoved the thought from his mind. Maybe he could ask Finchpaw later. For now, however, he had to deal with this patrol. He didn't exactly want to go but he didn't want to sit around camp doing nothing, either. He shook his head. Why wouldn't he go? This was more evidence of the rogues if anything. It wasn't just a patrol.

Pantherleap's tail swept against the ground. "Where are we going?"

"To the border to figure out if the rogues have left," Palewhisker replied, rising to his paws. "Follow me, and don't run."

The group filed into a line behind the warrior, with Pantherleap taking up the back and Adderheart in front of him. Brindlebreeze shuffled quickly behind Palewhisker, and Shrewclaw stood in the middle. The group began to walk yet it was more like a march. Nobody spoke as they headed past spruce trees. Nobody spoke as the sun slanted into their eyes.

Everyone simultaneously jumped over small rocks and fallen logs. Everyone walked at the same pace with the same stride. Everyone was sure to look forward, eyes darting around as if to see if there were anything around. However, Adderheart had noted the smells of prey nearby, yet no cat had actually stopped to catch it.

There wasn't much he could do to fix that, so he just kept walking.

Eventually, they came upon the border, and immediately Palewhisker reared back, tail raising in a warning. His lips drew back and the line instantly dissipated. Brindlebreeze stumbled back and Pantherleap approached carefully. Adderheart was quick to follow in silence. Was something wrong?

Shrewclaw sprinted forward and a loud yowl split the air.

What is going on—?!

Out of the bushes tumbled a leopard-spotted she-cat. She was mesmerizing, really. Her bluish-purple eyes were bright with rage and her hooked claws dug ferociously into Shrewclaw's pelt. He roared in agony, thrashing in her grip, and Pantherleap launched forward.