Jogging

Takes place during Race to the Edge. Hiccup and Astrid are dating.

"Come on, Hiccup! You promised me." Astrid held the boy's arms in her hands and tried to pull him up to his feet.

"And I haven't regretted it at all," he responded sarcastically, still half-asleep. Astrid finally let go of his hands and backed away from their bed. She needed a different approach. She looked around and spotted a cup of water on the nightstand, which they left there yesterday. "Just one more hour," whined Hiccup as he rolled over in the bed. However, Astrid had already made up her mind.

She walked to the nightstand, grabbed the cup and slowly started to pour the cold water onto Hiccup's face. The boy finally got up with a start.

"Eyy! Why would you do that?!" he complained indignantly.

"Babe, it's just water," rolled her eyes Astrid.

"Calling it ice would suit it better," he murmured, but she just ignored him.

"Besides, it helps you to be fresh. Which is important, because we will go jogging together, as you promised me yesterday." Hiccup sighed a little. Astrid knew, that the boy was not an early bird (except when he had to go flying with Toothless) so she understood how hard was it for him to get up at this hour, but she really wanted to share the experience with him. She loved jogging.

"All right. Let's go jogging," Hiccup said on a resigned voice as he finally stood up, still looking a bit sleepy. Astrid fell on his neck with an excited smile.

"You will love it! And don't worry, it takes only about an hour." Hiccup smiled at his betrothed as she run down the stairs in excitement. If with waking up early and running a little, he could make her this happy, then it absolutely worth the effort.

Then he realised. "An hour?!"

***

Hiccup was breathless. Both of his legs were in pain, his body was drowning in sweat and it felt like he could die in any moment. Astrid, on the other hand, seemed to be absolutely fine. Happy, even.

After about half an hour, they stopped at a beautiful cliff beside the see.

"Wasn't this just great?" she asked him as she was still walking around with an unbelievable ease. Hiccup couldn't respond so he just forced himself to give her a quick grin and held up his thumb, then dropped down to the grass. "Come on, it wasn't that hard."

"I can't... feel... my legs," Hiccup responded as he was panting. He lay down on his back and Astrid knelt beside him.

"Awww, babe. Maybe it was a bit too much for the first time."

"Ah, no," he said with a whisk. "The pain is good. Love it."

"Well, look at the good side of it," she told him, as she gently punched his shoulder. "We are already halfway. Now we just have to go back." She got up and slowly started running in the direction, where they came from.

"You got to be kidding me," Hiccup told himself as he got up to his feet with a frown, to go after his betrothed. "Where is a dragon, when you need one?"

***

It seemed to be an eternity, but they actually arrived back to the Edge alive. The gang were still sleeping and had just started to wake up. When they were halfway, Hiccup thought the pain can't be any worse than that. Oh, how wrong he was...

At least this time Astrid was panting a bit too, as they sat down on the decks, to have some rest. "Well look at that..." started to tease her Hiccup, but he had to stop for a quick breath. "don't tell me... you are exhausted... It was only... an hour after all."

"Hah, hah, hah," she responded, imitating a laugh. "At least I enjoyed it."

"Hey, I enjoyed it too. At least the first five minutes."

"You weren't that bad, you know? You could finish it on your own, and... Well actually that's really good. And is it not feel amazing that you have already accomplished something, even before the time you usually wake up?" she asked him with genuine excitement.

"Yeah... If you think about it like that, that's quite good actually," Hiccup admitted. "I feel energetic... and fresh. Ready for the day." As he was speaking, he saw how Astrid's face lit up. So this was that feeling, she wanted to share with him so badly. "But I still can't feel my legs."

"Oh, don't worry about that," she said as she stepped to him and helped him to stand up. "It will go away. Come, you need water now." They started to walk towards Hiccup's hut. "And trust me, you will be much better tomorrow."

TOMORROW?

If you have any comments, constructive criticism or story suggestions, please leave them here. I love reading about your thoughts.

Thank you for reading! Have a good day/night!