I laughed. “You googled how to flirt. You’re so retarded.” I was still grinning, though, and so was he. “How long did you and the girl stay together?”

He laughed. “Why do you want to know that?”

“So I can see if it really worked, or if it eventually wore off.”

“It was my charm and general good lucks that kept her.” He winked. “We’re still together.”

My heart sunk. “Oh, so it was successful.” I smiled, pretending like I didn’t care, even though it killed me inside. “Maybe I should google how to flirt.”

“Maybe you should. So are you and Sam… you know…”

I raised my eyebrows. “Are we a thing?”

He nodded sheepishly.

“No. We’re not a thing, but we are friends.” I smiled. I almost called him my best friend, but then I realized that I really didn’t know anything about him.

“Oh. He likes you, you know? You should give him a shot.”

I shook my head. “He doesn’t like me like that, I promise. We’re just friends.”

Jason shook his head. “Sam is my best friend. Trust me, he likes you.”

I shook my head, still unbelieving him. I don’t care if he likes me; I want you to like me. “I don’t know... so are you ready for our race tomorrow?”

“Way to change the subject, and yes, I’m ready for the race. I think the real question is: are you ready for the race?”

“I was born ready.”

“Cocky.”

“Confident,” I shot back.

“Arrogant.”

“Spirited.”

“Audacious,” he countered.

“Ooh.. audacious. I like the way that sounds.”

“Imprudent and reckless,” he kept going.

“Secure, fearless and classy,” I added, standing up. “I’ll see you at the race tomorrow,” I stopped myself. “rather, you’ll see me. I’ll be so far ahead of you.” I winked and walked off.

Jason caught up to me. “Do you really think you’ll win?”

I smirked. “I know I’ll win.”

He shook his head, a faint smile playing on the edges of his lips. “So why do you always walk at night?”

“Actually, it’s because I couldn’t sleep.” I shrugged. “And for whatever reason, this helps.”

He nodded. “I get that. Anytime there’s something-” he paused, and looked as though he was trying to choose his words carefully. “that’s being a particular pain, I come out at night.”

 I couldn’t figure out what he was getting at, and I figured that was the purpose of his word choice. I was never good and keeping my mouth shut, though. Curiosity killed the cat. “What type of things cause you pain? You’re smart, I know you are, so it’s not grades. Your friends are great, so it’s not them either. So is it your family or your girlfriend?”

He stopped. “You know what you’re problem is? You’re pushy.”

Yep. The cat was killed.

“So sue me for trying to figure you out.”

“Why would you want to do that?”

I raised my eyebrows. “Because I like you, and I want to know more about you. I get that I’ve only known you for like, two days, but I’m trying to get to know you. Can’t you see that?”