Chapter 1: Mail Call

Just arriving home is the best feeling in the world, especially when it's a Friday. I grabbed the mail from the box and flipped through them as I walked into my apartment. It wasn't too far from the famous Jason Gideon's cabin. It made things easier to hang out with him, as a father-daughter thing.

Now, a quick history lesson about Jason and I.

I was kidnapped about nine years back, when I was 12, by my father. He and my mother had divorced and he had no legal rights to see me at all. I guess he became furious about that and came to the house and took me away.

I was almost Colorado before Jason and his team found me. Once I was safe and back home in Quantico, I asked Jason if I could keep in touch with him. He didn't complain, and gladly replied to all of my letters. After losing my father to his own mind, Jason extended the offer that he would take care of me to my mother. She simply smiled and replied, "I wouldn't have wanted anyone else, Agent."

I walked to my dining room table and read what I had gotten in the mail:

Guitar magazine. I'll read that later.

Bills. I'll take a peek at them this evening.

A bunch of other fake ads. Trash!

A letter from my mom. I'll read while I eat.

A letter from Jason...I'll read that now.

I ripped it open and a picture fell out of it. I put the picture on my table and placed my bags down. I sat at the table and read through Jason's letter:

Sierra,

I cannot tell you how much pain and disturbance I'm feeling as I write this letter. The difficulty to write this makes it almost impossible for me to leave you behind. The words 'passing away' makes death seem so bearable. 'Dying' makes it seem so apathetic. But 'murder', that crosses the line.

After Sarah's death, and this past case, I began to see her face on every single one of the victims. I am unable to perform my job title, so, I'm taking off for a while. I need to find that spark again, the same spark that Sarah started in me, and pushed me to work hard.

This man, his name is Doctor Spencer Reid, the one that I have always told you about in my letters about the cases. As my last wish, I want you to to meet with him this Saturday at the local park in Quantico at 9:00am.

He knows to meet there as well, and I want you two to meet every week at this time and place. I fear that Spencer may be falling into the trap that I did, and I would do anything for him not to. Please, show your compassion to him like you did to me.

I will always love you like my daughter Sierra. Please take care of this boy.

Jason Gideon.

I began to tear up and smile. At least he was honest with himself. He knew it was his time to step back.

"Doctor Spencer Reid..." I whispered.

His name rolled off of my tongue so easily. Jason spoke so highly of him and his brilliance. Jason wants me to take care of Doctor Reid...I guess I'll do that for him. I will.

Jason saved my life before, so I can at least return the favor.

I studied the picture of Jason and the doctor. Jason had the blue sweater on that I had bought him on his birthday and cargo pants on. Doctor Reid had on a tan sweater-vest over a button-down and a brown tie. He had khaki's on along with a gun strapped to his waist. He had a sheepish grin on his face and brown hair.

I grinned and thought, maybe I wouldn't mind seeing him after all.

--------------------------------------------

Be honest...how was this chapter?