Back to emergency

Start from the beginning

Newt shuffled out from underneath the covers, stifling a yawn. Leta wandered out of the room, rubbing her eyes and mumbling something about breakfast.

He blinked the sleep away from his eyes and pulled on his usual attire, albeit with a bit of difficulty, before sliding his splint over the top. Newt sniffed, picking up his crutches for the day and only glancing at them in distaste once, then slipping them into his hands and walking out.

Atmospherically, things were a lot more elated today, despite Leta's earlier argument with her husband.

When Newt ambled into the living room that day, multiple rays of sunshine were flooding through the windows, bathing the rooms and kitchen in a soft, golden glow. Tina, still wearing her pyjamas, was sitting in one of the chairs at the dining table, swinging her legs contentedly as she leaned over numerous work files. Leta was flipping an omelette in the kitchen, already looking more awake than when Newt last saw her. The quiet sizzling of the frying pan filled the room, mixing with the incessant scratching of Tina's quill.

Newt didn't try to stop the small smile sneaking out of the corner of his mouth.

"Morning!" chirped a honey-sweet voice from behind him. Newt jumped, then whirled around to face Queenie, who looked as if she'd just walked out of a beauty salon. She was wearing a pastel pink slip, and her luscious golden curls bounced around her face.

Newt offered her a smile, and Queenie happily returned it, her green eyes twinkling brightly.

She skipped into the kitchen and began distributing knives and forks on the table. Tina yanked away her files to make room, then glanced incredulously up at her little sister.

"Did you just wake up?" she asked, staring at Queenie as she trotted back to the kitchen to collect more forks.

"Mm hm." The younger witch nodded her head.

"How! You look like you spent hours doing your hair and..." Tina made frantic hand gestures towards Queenie, who beamed a smile so bright, it could've lit up the whole city.

Indeed, now that the older sister had looked up from her files, Newt could see what she meant. Tina's hair looked like it had been struck by lightning and was sticking up all over the place. Her blue patterned pyjamas were crumpled and her top two buttons were undone.

Tina finally noticed Newt and flashed him a weak grin. Newt caught himself staring and quickly looked away, a blush forming on his cheeks as he recalled her quick peck on the cheek yesterday. Queenie rolled her eyes.

"I don't know why you don't just work up the nerve to talk to her, Newt. Come on, Leta makes good omelettes. Eat something before you go," she fussed.

At that moment, Leta finished the omelette she was making and slid it onto a plate. Queenie didn't miss a beat, picking up the plate and placing it in the empty chair at the head of the table.

Newt went to place his crutches so they leaned against the wall, but Queenie stopped him and took them from his hands.

"No, no, honey. I'll take them. You sit down."

Newt looked as if he were about to object, but chewed on a lip and slipped into the chair instead. Queenie watched him with satisfaction before disappearing into her room to get changed.

He soon learned that Leta had a gift for making excellent omelettes- it was hot and cheesy and melted in his mouth. Newt finished it quickly, to Leta's delight, and reached for his crutches just as Queenie emerged into the living room.

This time, she'd opted for her usual pastel-coloured coat, buttoned up over her navy silk dress.

"Come on, Newt. We're going back to the hospital for a check-up," she announced by way of greeting.