Chapter 24

Chapter 24

We were away for three weeks with dad's expedition. It was great to go exploring again, and finding out new mysteries of the world, but my heart never stopped aching. I missed the presence of Jene in my life. Every time I discovered something I loved, I wanted to show Jene, but I couldn't. It had a devastation that left me in distress every time it happened.

At no time did I find anything that even slightly resembled any genie lamp I had ever seen. I arrived home angry, disappointed, love sick and desperate to see Jene.

The other thing that kept bothering me was my missing pendant that my mother had given me. The only thing that kept me going was the thought that I could check my place more thoroughly when I arrived back. I'd only given it a cursory look over before leaving with dad. It wasn't at dad's place either. There's nowhere else it could be, unless someone stole it when I was unconscious. Dad insisted that someone had always been with me and that he never recalled the pendant I described.

"Isla, why don't you spend the night with us? You're mother will look forward to seeing that you survived another one of my ghastly expeditions." Dad interrupted my churning thoughts.

"I'd rather go home." I said as I stared into the darkness.

The honest truth was that I didn't want to face Harrison. I didn't want to know that I'd gone bat shit crazy, and made up this life of mine. The only one who could possibly know any of the truth I knew was Harrison.

"Think of your mother, Isla. She'd never forgive me if I didn't make sure you had a hearty breakfast after we've been gone so long." Dad insisted and I just nodded my head.

"I guess I can't say no."

That's how I came to face a glowering Harrison over the breakfast table. Dressed in a fancy suit he might have been, but his familiar scowl aimed straight at me. I stared back at him with what I hoped was a blank, uninterested stare.

Candy sat with a medical journal propped in front of her, and she poured over its contents with fierce concentration. I'd never seen her quite so intent, and I admired her for the first time in my life.

"Harrison, isn't Mr Bright expecting you in early today?" Bev eyed her son and enquired as she placed a platter on the table.

"Actually, now that we're all here, I've got something to say." Harrison straightened his shoulders and tried aiming his superior look around.

"Then get on with it, Harry, some of us are busy." Candy gestured to her book.

"I'm quitting my job to go backpacking around the world for a few years." Harrison declared.

Every utensil my family held dropped with a clatter to the tabletop. Every eyes then stared at Harrison in shock, except for me. The life of work wasn't what he wanted at all. It was hard for me to contain my snicker. The lamp had paid him back exactly as he deserved.

"You have a job, responsibilities and your future on the line. Why would you be so foolish and throw that all away?" Bev stared at her son in exasperation.

"It's not what I want." Harrison narrowed his eyes on his mother.

"These ideas of yours! Where have you been coming up with such fanciful foolishness recently? I've never known you to have such little focus." Bev seemed to be trying to figure out where she went wrong with him.

"Mum, I don't want this life." Harrison gestured down to his suit with a look of disdain.

"You have the job you've always dreamed of since you were in your early teenage years. Where's this lax attitude of yours coming from? You've never been like this." Bev chided him with a shake of her head.