Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Only when Bev started filling each individual plate did something occur to me. I hoped the chatter around the table would cover the bizarre question that I had to ask Jene.

"You can't eat human food." I pointed to the full plate in front of him.

For a second, Jene mused over my question. It didn't stress him, but I had the distinct feeling that he wondered how to word his answer to me.

"Why is my question making you think?" I frowned at him.

"So, Jene, how long have you known Isla?" Dad interrupted with his own question and my frown deepened.

"He's got to answer my questions first." I crossed my arms and stared at Jene.

Beneath the table, Jene clasped my hand in his. The warmth of his hand and how it covered mine, but held me so gently, stifled my mouth. Sapphire blue eyes gazed into mine for a flitting moment, before he turned to my father.

"I have known your daughter since she was quite young." Jene answered. I snapped my mouth even tighter closed. How could I ever explain that answer?

"I'm Isla's father, and I have never seen you around before." Dad pushed himself out of the chair as if preparing for a fight.

"Dad, sit down! Honestly, you're going to give yourself a heart attack. What he meant was that he felt like he's known me since my childhood." I chided dad while trying to make up a plausible reply.

"Ah, I see." Dad sat down with a rueful glance at Jene.

"We'd love to hear about how you met." Bev's enthusiasm and wide eyes were as bad as dad preparing for a fight.

I squeezed Jene's hand in mine, so he'd know that I intended to answer this time. One of his fingers swished over the back of my hand in a light caress. I lost all frame of mind. Instead, all I could think about was what I'd promised Jene tonight.

"But you said we'd talk about my new car!" Candy pouted and I rolled my eyes, while a breath of relief escaped me at the same time.

"Candice, darling, we will get around to that." Bev patted her daughter's hand.

I used that distraction to turn back to Jene, "are you ever going to answer my question?"

"What question did you ask?" Jene went back to avoidance.

"You can't eat human food." I whispered the words during Candy arguing about her car.

"Might I say once again that you never once asked me a question." Jene went all stuffy and that left me suspicious.

"Don't try that obtuse answer. How are you going to eat this food?" I gestured to what sat on his plate as I squeezed his hand in mine.

"She-Gen told me that I had to build up a tolerance to many human things, including food stuffs. I intend to eat this meal put in front of me." As he said the words, he awkwardly picked up his fork, and stabbed a potato.

I turned my whole focus to him, rather curious with how this might turn out. Jene slowly raised the fork to his lips. I'm sure I'm the only one who saw him flinch when he placed the food into his mouth. He chewed and I kept watching him.

"Isla," hearing my voice, I glanced over to Bev. "Are you going to tell us how you met?"

"Uh..." my mind scrambled for an answer.

"Why won't you work?" Harrison stole my need to answer, and relief gushed over me. My step siblings kept interrupting at the most opportune times, and I couldn't be more grateful to them right now.