5. Soulmates are Not Designated to Like Each Other, Though It Is Recommended

Start from the beginning

Instead, she found herself seeing nothing beyond his bare skin.

She looked at him, wide-eyed.

Dylan opened his mouth, trying to find the words to explain. His mouth felt dry. His eyes began to water. "I...it's gone."

Mrs. Matthews moved to the ottoman and watched her son slowly tense up. Dylan clasped his hands together, tightening his grasp like he was trying to choke something. Jaw and neck tensing, Dylan's eyes were glossy. Tears threatened to roll over his lower eyelid.

Two words brought out his emotional collapse, which were uttered quietly by his mother – "Oh, sweetheart."

Body convulsing once, Dylan looked pained as his breath left his body quickly. 'You failed,' he thought, further fueling his breakdown. His attempt at keeping his mouth shut proved unsuccessful, his teeth clattered together as his breath left his body. He leaned forward, hiding his face with his hands in shame.

"I d-d-d...didn't w-want it to happen, Mom," Dylan choked. "I d...I d-don't...kn-know what t-t-to d-do."

She put her hands over his, rubbing the top of his hand with her thumb, and whispered, "It's okay" over and over for nine minutes.

By that time, Dylan's eyes were tinted red, his breath slow but laboured, and his figure limp from mental exhaustion. Sprawled out on the chair, a very concerned Piper watched him from his lap, who he scratched halfheartedly. "I didn't want i-it t-to happen, Mom," he repeated faintly, words broken apart by his still unstable emotions.

"I know, sweetie," she whispered, still rubbing the back of his hand with her thumb. She had moved the ottoman closer to her son to console him.

His whole body still shook. "I didn't want it to happen," he repeated, a small whimper escaping his throat.

"I know you didn't," she whispered, her tone gentle and soothing. His mother squeezed Dylan's hand gently before wanting to ask that tentative question that was on her mind; she postponed the question for later. "You know, what happened with me and your father might not happen to you."

Worried, tearstained eyes met hers, and Dylan shook his head furiously. "I don't want to take the chance," Dylan shouted, leaning forward and startling Piper.

His mother frowned. "Do you want to stay over tonight?"

Piper stretched, letting out an elongated yawn in the process. Dylan shook his head, his hand trembling against the dog's fur. "It's not necessary for you t – "

"Do you want to stay over tonight?" she asked again.

Dylan took the time to consider the question before nodding, wiping his eyes and nose with his entire forearm. Sniffing, he whispered, "Thanks, Mom."

Mrs. Matthews collapsed under her curiosity and asked the question – "So...who is it?"

Dylan had hoped that she wouldn't ask, at least not at the present time. 'You're going to have to tell her eventually,' his mind reminded him. 'Best get it out of the way now.' Jaw clenched for a moment, Dylan tentatively answered, "It's Bryce."

She blinked, processing the name. "The...guy who called your Glow defective?"

Dylan nodded ashamedly.

"The one you called a 'playboy'?"

He nodded again, a saddened glimmer in his eyes.

But after a moment where neither spoke, Mrs. Matthews raised her hand to her face and snorted, suppressing a chuckle.