Chapter 22: Set Free

A/N: some scenes may be triggering.

Lux

I stared at the woman, Erica. The Don of the Silver Bullets. I don't know if I should believe her words, but things that never added up in the past started to. My brows furrowed and I stared at the wall opposite of me. It was like a movie only filled with the unexplained, confusing moments that were easily justified with the answer she just gave me. The scary, messed up answer that apparently I can't escape from. The Mafia.

"Do you see, child," Erica cooed as she played with my hair that was still up in a ponytail. "You are in danger being around them." It seems that she's trying a different tactic to have me answer her questions. "Now, you can help me by answering my questions. I could eliminate the danger of them and you will be free. How does that sound?" I can't trust her, that's what I think. Even if what she is saying is true, they have never hurt me. And I'm sure they never plan to. They are my family and I trust them. They love me, especially Axel. They won't let anything happen to me. They'll protect me.

I clenched my jaw and jerked away from her, freeing my hair from her grasp. "They are not a danger to me, Mafia or not. They are my family and I trust them with my life. They aren't the monsters. People like you are." I saw fire ignite in her eyes and her jaw clenched together. Her face was emotionless but I noticed all the little things. I've trained myself to notice these cues that could potentially put me in danger.

"Fine," she clipped out with a smile. "If that's how you want to do it, that's fine. It's your choice." She leaned in and whispered harshly, "But remember this, you brought this upon yourself." She stood up and walked over to the table full of instruments that looked like they are used to torture people. One of the one's I recognized and familiar with was a basic knife. "Pull her up on the pulley," she instructed Brian and the other man.

The two came over and attached the rope I was tied with to a pulley while keeping me tied by the wrists, so I couldn't fight back. But I did make their job harder by struggling as much as possible before Erica came over and punched me in the cheekbone. I was groaning in pain as they pulled my body up by my wrists until I was hanging from the ground; my toes an inch from the ground.

Erica smiled. "Now on to the fun part." Before she could do anything, there was a muffled booming noise before the building shook. She froze and looked at the other two. "Greg, go check what that was." The large man nodded and left the room in a jog. She looked at me. "Looks like we have some company."

She cut the rope holding me and I dropped to the ground. before I could do anything, she pulled me back up and held the knife up to my neck while using me as a shield towards the door. It didn't take long before the door burst open with Axel and Cash holding guns up. I watched as both of them let out relieved sighs at the sight of me before coiling up again at the sight of the knife.

"Why, hello boys," I head Erica say over my shoulder. I can just hear her smirk in her voice. "You have horrible timing. I was just about to play with our girl, Lux, with my toys." She sighed. "Unfortunately, we couldn't start when I heard you guys barging into my building."

"Let her go," demanded Axel.

Erica laughed. "You think that just because you demanded me to let her go that I would do it? Someone's been watching too much action movies."

"What are you going to do with Lux?"

Erica's calmed state quickly filled with laughter again. "Are you expecting me to tell you my whole plan like super villains do? I'm not that stupid." She sighed. "Lux was just a simple diversion." I noticed Cash's phone buzzing in his front pocket. "I suggest you answering that. It may be important."