PART-3(THE DAY OF THE TRIP)

I hardly slept last night. I looked over the clock on my side table. It showed 4:09 A.M. I am not the kind of early bird. I was so thrilled about the trip that I woke up so early. The sight of the tall buildings and apartments everywhere, tall lamp posts, wires dangling over the head, school, colleges, project works and congested surrounding bored me to hell. I just needed a break from the regular conurbation routine. My eyes badly needed the sight of 'green and blue' without towering buildings intruding. It's not that I don't love the life here. It's just that I need some change. A BREAK.

I got up and freshened up. I wore a black skinny jeans and a white top. I set my hair with a puff and loose curls in the end. I applied very light make-up. I took one last look of myself on the large mirror. I pulled my travel case and a backpack from under my bed which I kept last night after packing. I took a few sets of dress for a week, a small makeup kit, a boots shoe and my hair drier. I packed my waterproof backpack with a water bottle, few noodles packets, my laptop, charger, a headphone, a flash light, a cigarette lighter (match box would be useless in case it gets wet),a small pen knife, a laser light and a handy cam. I tucked my mobile into my jean pocket. It was nearly six. We have planned to start by eight in the morning in Knish's black bolero car. Krish had his own car which was gifted to him by his parents' for his eighteenth birthday. He would pickup everyone. I headed downstairs. Mom was in the kitchen.

"Morning, mummy", I said as I went into the kitchen.

"Good morning, Shanu ma", she replied.

"All set to go ah?" she asked smiling widely.

"Yeah. Gonna miss your food for a week", I replied.

"So, you will miss only my food, not me.", she asked raising a brow.

I was about to say no but then the naughtiness in me took charge of my words.

"Yeah, mom. I will only miss your food." I replied casually and turned around leaving her fuming.

"Where's dad?" I asked.

I got no reply. I knew she was irritated. I heard the mustard sputter. I need to cool her down now.

"Momma, I was only joking. How would I not miss you? I love you so much." I said and hugged her.

She smiled and said,"I know. Shanu ma"

"Dad's in the front porch", she said and returned to her cooking.

I went to the porch and saw Dad dusting the car.

"Dad", I called out as I went towards him.

"Shanu dear, too excited about the trip ah?"

"Yeah Dad, How did you know?"

"Cause' I never saw you wake up this early even during your Board exams.", he said laughing.

"Exactly, dad" , I heard Aju's voice behind me.

Now it was my turn to fume. I glared at both of them.

"Well, Mr. Arjun, you are no different", I countered back.

"Whatever. Finally, I have got peace for a week", he replied stretching his hands.

"Yes, Same here.", I said ,turning my face away from him.

I suddenly realised the fact that I am going to the trip without Arjun. He always accompanied me in long trips. His presence would make the trip even more fun. I felt guilty of not asking him to join us.

As if sensing my thoughts he replied," Hey, It's okay. I have my own plans here."

"Are you sure? You can join us even now. It was so silly of me of not asking you. How could I forget you?", I asked rubbing my forehead.

"Silly girl", said Dad patting me.

"No Shanz, That's alright. I have plans today", he said.

He looked down at the grass for a few seconds and swiftly lifted his head," May be I'll join you guys in the middle.", he said.

"Really", I asked, shocked.

I was on cloud nine now.

"Yeah. Promise", he assured.

A few minutes later, mom called us for breakfast. We had our breakfast and chatted for some time.

"Okay sweetie, Take care and stay safe. Keep us posted.", said Dad.

"Okay Dad. Miss you all.", I replied and hugged them.

Mom and Dad left for their work. It took out my mobile and the screen showed the time as 7:44 A.M. Krish would be here in a few minutes to pick me up. I dialled Krish's number. He picked up the mobile within two rings.

Before I said anything he spoke, "Hey Shanu, will be at your place in 5 minutes."

"Okay", I said and hung up his call.

In a few minutes I heard a car honk . I took my backpack and my suit case and trotted outside. I placed them on the car's top along with other's luggage and strapped the stretchy belt around it. I took the front seat beside Krish. I heard chorus 'hii-s and hey-s'. I smiled and replied the same.

"Shanu, you are looking pretty", commented Krish.

"As usual." , remarked Riya grinning widely.

"Thank you. You guys too look great."

I saw Riya, Aravind and Varun on the back seat behind me and Krish. The backseats behind them was empty. Niki was missing. I bid bye to Aju and the car moved away. I noticed that we were heading towards Niki's house. We picked her up. She took the back seat behind Aravind and Riya. Varun shifted his seat to the back to accompany Niki. Our journey started. I observed that everyone had that gleam in their eyes. They were as excited as I was.