Chapter 19: Archie, the Informant

Start from the beginning

"I got a good deal on the place." Archie shrugged. "So, this Snake Charmer guy sounds like a lunatic. He's known to kill his victims in gory manners, like gutting and slicing the neck. There's a rumor that he has pet snakes guarding the inside of his house, but I'm not sure how true that gossip is. None of my sources have ever had a run-in with him."

Kazimir shivered upon hearing those horrendous details. Could the man he met during his community service be a psychopath?

"All we've learned is that he's a nutcase, pretty strong, abuses women, and likes snakes," Emmett said. "He shot Fatlard once too."

"For real?" Archie raised an eyebrow. "Damn. Was he hit badly?"

"Got him in the leg," Emmett replied. "You know how Fatlard is. He always gripes about how his opponents are weak little fucks. Not Snake Charmer. Fatlard admitted that he's strong. And only after that one gang war."

"Sounds like he could be capable of killing Hank then," Everly spoke up. "The only thing I wonder is why? A drug deal gone wrong, maybe? Betrayal?"

Emmett shrugged. "Who knows? Could be anything."

"This is all speculation," Kazimir pointed out. "We need proof that Snake Charmer killed Hank, or they're going to keep coming for me instead."

"In order to lure Snake Charmer out, you'll have to antagonize his vipers first," Archie said. "That might cause another gang war though."

Emmett replied, "And here I thought we were starting to get closer to living peacefully alongside them."

Archie snickered. "Hell will freeze over before that ever happens."

Amid Archie's laughter, Kazimir perceived a faint crackle. Curiosity urged him toward the mullioned window to look around at the neighborhood. He observed the silent street, hoping to pinpoint something unusual. Had someone followed them? Kazimir had gotten paranoid lately, but something seemed off to him. Was it the Black Vipers coming to strike?

"You okay?" Emmett asked Kazimir. "You seem skittish."

"Does something feel off to you?" Kazimir asked.

Emmett frowned. "What do you mean?"

"I-I think we're being watched," Kazimir told him.

"You learn to stay paranoid when you're around Emmett long enough," Archie said.

Emmett took a gander out the window next. "Fuck, get down! Now!"

Shards of glass scattered around them as Emmett pulled Kazimir down in front of the couch. Everly and Archie ducked down beside them too. Cloudy smoke billowed around them as Kazimir coughed. Kazimir tried to concentrate on his surroundings but it was too misty. They used a smoke bomb to disorient them.

Heart pounding in his ears, Kazimir strained to get a better glance at the front door. The smoke fogged up his glasses, making it impossible to see anything. How did they find them so quickly? What did they want? Memories from the night of Samantha's attack came to mind, throwing Kazimir into panic.

The intruders' heavy footsteps echoed against the hardwood floor after they walloped the front door open. Kazimir tried to move away from the sofa. His idea of a hiding place was under the coffee table, as his small frame would easily fit. Before he could, cold calloused hands wrenched him up. Kazimir felt the apprehension in the man's muscles when he guided them away from the sofa. Kazimir swayed unsteadily. If it weren't for his rough tugging, Kazimir would have toppled over.

Kazimir tried to steel himself. He couldn't afford to be weak. His death would be the ultimate price.

"We should be safe down here."

There was an irritating ringing in Kazimir's ears. When the mist faded away, his vision became less hazy as he removed his glasses to wipe the lens. The stench of cat piss lingered in the air. Kazimir made out the figure who lured him away from the chaos.

"Archie, we have to rescue them."

"They can handle themselves," Archie replied, raising his voice. "We'd only get in their way."

Smoke drifted down into the basement when Kazimir pulled the squeaky door open. Archie's desperate pleas went in one ear and out the other. From the sound of gunshots, Kazimir roughly pinpointed where the shooters were.

"Are you just as fucking insane as them?" Archie asked. "Get your little ass back in here."

"I have to help them. Didn't you hear the footsteps? There's more than one out there. Emmett and Everly will be outnumbered," Kazimir explained.

"The fuck you talking about? You wanna get yourself killed?" Archie asked.

Kazimir shook his head, wincing when more gunshots rent the air. "What should we do then?"

Archie pulled out his phone and made a call, keeping it close to his ear. "I'll get my brother out here. Don't worry. We'll be okay."

The world seemed to gyrate around Kazimir, drowning out everything in deafening gunshots.