Chapter 4: Bike Ride

Two days after Hank's murder, Jordy suggested that they get out of the apartment. Kazimir was tempted to stay at home, but Jordy insisted that wallowing in their pain alone wasn't the healthiest way to cope. With a killer still on the loose, Kazimir worried that they'd be the next targets.

Kazimir was so lost in thought, he almost missed his turn. When they respectively pulled up into the parking lot of a diner called the Wallflower, Kazimir's dealer and crush, Samantha Gresham waited for them beside her rundown jeep. She hadn't answered any of his texts yesterday, but seeing her again made his worries float away like the clouds.

It was rare to find individuals who walked around comfortably in their skin, but Samantha did. Her purple hair flowed freely in the breeze. She hid her bruises perfectly with makeup. Not a blemish could be found on her pretty face. She wore a black blouse and mini skirt, accompanied with some knee-high cat ear socks.

Kazimir fell for Samantha after she showed him some of her graffiti pieces. She used her art to paint their hideous town, always focusing on themes of death and love. But she didn't aspire to become an illustrious artist like he did. Her true passion was hair-styling.

Learning she dealt drugs only strengthened his desire to be with her. Part of Kazimir wondered if she'd join the Black Vipers to help with her career, but he never asked.

They both hid their secret lives of dealing and abusing drugs from Jordy. She made Kazimir swear on his life to never tell a soul about her working with the gang. Samantha had a plan to take down the Black Vipers, but she kept him in the dark. Despite how Samantha assured him she was in control, he still worried about her.

"Why didn't you guys ride together?" Samantha asked.

"I rode my bike here," Kazimir replied, gesturing to his blue motorcycle. "And he's too much of a scaredy-cat to hop on."

"I'm not riding that death trap. I value my life," Jordy scoffed.

"I love your bike. I think it's pretty badass." Samantha brushed up against him, letting her fingers touch his.

"Really?" Kazimir grinned like a fool. "Thank you."

"After supper, we should take a spin on it." Samantha's warm breath tickled against his ear. "Sound like fun?"

"Yeah, I'd love that."

Jordy walked ahead of them. "Come on. Let's eat. I'm starving."

Once Kazimir entered, he let the aroma of freshly brewed coffee and sizzling bacon embrace him. It reminded him of home as a child, when his father would cook a big breakfast for their family during the holidays or just for a special occasion. It was strange how the place brought back memories of when his cousins would visit from Russia with their babushka. Kazimir always loved when they flew into town to visit.

The Wallflower was a vintage family-owned diner designed like something plucked straight out of the eighties. They crossed the black and white checkered floor to reach the bar, where a server led them to a table near the window. A jukebox in the back corner played an older tune Kazimir wasn't familiar with. The daily specials were written out on a chalkboard swathed in lovely carnation lights, casting a delicate glow on the waiters and waitresses.

"Wow," Kazimir murmured. "This place is so cool."

"I knew we had to bring you here," Jordy said. "Their burgers are great."

"Don't forget the milkshakes. They're the best in New Syracuse." Samantha chimed in.

After being seated at one of the plush booths, Kazimir admired more of the delightful little diner. He knew he had to try the delectable strawberry milkshake when he saw it on the flip menu near the condiments.