Chapter 19: Archie, the Informant

Start from the beginning

"A broader picture is starting to form," Kazimir said. "Hank died because he knew something someone didn't want him to ever uncover."

Everly didn't seem very convinced. "Is he always this dramatic?"

"His theatrical suspicions make him adorable." Emmett grinned.

Kazimir blushed when Emmett called him adorable. He wasn't sure why. It just felt weird for him to state such a thing out loud. Once Emmett got everything settled, the three of them set out to Archie's place in Everly's pink Volkswagen.

Their destination wasn't too far away, but it still teetered on the border of Viper Valley. The moment Kazimir spotted the pair of tennis shoes dangling from the power line, he knew they had ventured deep into drug territory. The overturned street sign on the corner only verified his premonitions. Cambridge Rd. was notorious for shoot-outs and arrests.

Kazimir heard about a pursuit in the area a while back on the news. The suspect was gunned down after opening fire on the police who tried to apprehend him. It was on the roughest side of New Syracuse.

Everly parked on the curb of the dead end street in front of a small, dilapidated home then killed the ignition. The street seemed barren, like no one else lived there. The only reason Kazimir knew the guy had neighbors was due to the accumulation of cars parked along the curbs and up in driveways.

"It's been too long, Emmett." The screen door propped open, revealing the buyer known as Archie. "You guys can come on inside. Take a load off. I got some pop in the fridge and snacks in the cabinets."

"Don't mind if I do." Emmett moseyed on in and set off toward the kitchen.

Archie wasn't handsome at all. He had a long, fat neck and tiny head. Pimples covered his cheeks and chin. Smiles were meant to be comforting but his wasn't. Maybe he was just eccentric? Kazimir wrinkled his nose as he got closer to the guy. He stunk like he hadn't bathed in weeks.

"You're Kaz, right?" Archie looked down at Kazimir.

"Yeah, that's me."

"Well, it's nice to meetcha," Archie said. "Emmett told me you're the one who started looking into the death of this Hank guy. I can't say I have any personal connection to him and his trade, but I asked around for my old pal. I can tell he really wants to get to the bottom of this."

"What all did you discover so far?" The gangster emerged from the other room juggling a bottle of pop, a bag of jerky, and a container of peanut butter.

"Seriously?" Everly frowned at him.

"Mysteries give me the munchies."

Emmett took a load off with his snacks, and Kazimir plopped down beside him. Everly remained standing near the coffee table. Kazimir swiped a few pieces of jerky for himself as Archie began to relay the series of events he learned so far.

"I got in touch with my guy, Rick. That's not his real name, but it's what everyone calls him. Anyway, he recognized Hank. Said he works with the Black Vipers. Apparently, he was trying to leave them, but you know how that is. Once you join a gang, you're in it till death. He was seen in a heated argument with Snake Charmer. Didn't get a real name."

"That's the guy I was telling you about, Emmett. He's in the same community service program as me," Kazimir said. "It's supposed to reform vandals. It's stupid."

"Oh yeah? Sounds boring." Archie snorted.

Kazimir nodded. "It is."

"Those Black Vipers are awful," Emmett said through a mouthful of jerky. "I'm still surprised you chose to move here to Viper Valley. The neighborhoods are fucking awful."