Chapter Five - Déjà Vu

I was so confused, outside the sky was death black, there were no stars and no moon; Amanda rushed by, I breathed a sigh of relief as Ernie followed her, perhaps my nightmare wasn't coming true. The house was an eerie quiet, Nathan and Mick had been holding each other for the last two hours; it was a comical scene, two brawny men entangled in each other but there was sadness there, I didn't want to question them about it.

"You ready?" Amanda asked, one hand on my shoulder. 
"I guess so... did you call your work?" She held the phone, contemplating.
"My superior was home asleep, I left a message with one of the camera guys." I nodded.
"I'm sorry I put you through all of that before." She said solemnly. 
"Don't be..." I said, emotionless. 
"No but I..." She sighed, her face splashed with annoyance. 
"Seriously, don't be." With that she picked up her bags and walked out to the van. 

I followed her down, my head bowed in shame; the house groaned with me, I had to get out of here but not without Nathan and his boyfriend.
"Nathan..." I placed a hand on his back, he turned back to face me; his eyes were red and his face blotchy, he'd been crying.
"Y-Yeah?" His voice wobbled.
"We're going now okay, you should come too." I said, Nathan sighed, looking lastingly at Mick.
"I can't leave Mick." Mick's body language was depressing, the guy was traumatized. 
"I know, I meant both of you." Nathan gave me a nod and Mick sat upright.
"How are we going to escape, if the gorge is gone and the bridge?" I shrugged at Nathan's question.
"We'll see, right now I don't feel safe here, we should seriously go." The situation was becoming tense, and it felt like there were whispers in the rooms around us; Lake was nowhere to be seen. 

"Dante we have to go, there's something out here with us!" Amanda yelled from outside, quickly we got to our feet; Nathan let out a painful gripe as he grabbed at his thigh.
"Nathan?!" Mick yelled, holding him up.
"I'm fine, but Dan is right, we need to go." Mick whispered, Nathan supported his weight as I held the door open; sensing someone on the stairs I looked back, Karen was standing at the top; or at least her silhouette, the light above her flickering, shrouding her in a mysteriously eerie shadow.
"Why is this happening to us!?" I yelled at her as Nathan and Mick shuffled outside.
"You are only human, you wouldn't understand." She spoke in a sick way, her tainted steps reveling down the stairs as she moved closer to me.
"Why are our nightmares becoming real?" Her head turned sharply, it was still too dark to make out her features but there was something odd about her body language.
"Some have already occurred, but in the end, everyone's fear becomes reality." She was moving towards me in a threatening matter, and I could hear the sound of twitching and tittering.
"Karen?" My voice was detached and far off, and as she came into the light I sunk in terror; it wasn't Karen at all, it was a monster. 

The face mangled, the eyes gone, the tongue slithering; at first glance I thought it was another one of my daydreams, but then 'it' grabbed me and I realized the reality of my situation, I had to get out of there!

My legs went first, I pulled open the door and made a run for it; leaving the monster startled, it's arms clawing upwards as I slammed the door. 
"There you are, we've been..."
"Start the fucking car!" I screamed, Amanda looked shocked and quickly shook Ernie, the van started abruptly as Mick opened the sliding door for me, offering his hand as he pulled me inside. 
"What happened back there?" Amanda gasped for air as the car sped onward to the bridge.
"Oh shit!" Nathan yelled as the monster's figure charged through the fog towards our slow-moving van. 
"Hurry up, go faster!" I yelled, the van speeding on, leaving the mangled corpse to disappear into the ghostly mist.

"Dante, what was that chasing us!?" Amanda yelled, the lights of the town flickering; the road seemed to be the only thing illuminated. Luckily Ernie knew where he was going, around us the mist warped and swirled.  
"How much longer?" 
"Not long, the bridge should be right about... here!" The van came to a screeching halt, the mist around us clearing as we stepped into the night again; all of us except Mick and Nathan who stayed in the van.
"Here we are, back at the bridge."
"Déjà Vu." Ernie laughed, but we didn't, the sound of whispers returned over the cold winds. 
"We can't make it across Dante, there's no other bridge and I don't want to walk too far around the lakeside..." A lone scream shot out across the lake interrupting Amanda, it made us shiver with fear, our eyes widening.
"Dante, that came from the other side." Amanda whispered, her voice quivering. 
"We should go... now!" I whispered tensely, the eyes re-appearing in the water; Ernie got into the van first and twisted the keys in the ignition. But it was no use.
"It won't start!" Ernie said out of disbelief. 
"Why not!?" I asked. 
"It's the electric battery, it's out of charge!" Ernie swore, hitting his head on the steering wheel.
"It can't be, we had it plugged in all day." Amanda yelled, fear splashed across her face.
"Quick lock the doors!" Everyone did as I said, once again the van was silent, all apart from our breathing.