Chapter 18

The whole drive home I kept replaying the nurse's words over and over in my head. I was pregnant with Devereaux Ravenwell's child. I had a feeling he was going to be a lot happier about this than most people.

I pulled into the parking garage and was thankful that neither V nor Femi's cars were in their spots. I entered the apartment in a daze. I made my way through the park process of getting ready for our Valentine's Day date, our second official date. Though my makeup took a couple of tries as my hands were shaking so badly, I still looked presentable when I was done.

After I was ready, I paced back-and-forth going over what I would say. I didn't know if I wanted to have this baby...

I didn't know if I could handle being pregnant with Devereaux still running the streets for Unk. And I most definitely didn't want him to feel like I was pressuring him to do something he wasn't ready for. Relationships older and stronger than ours had crumbled under the pressure of a child. I didn't want to lose him. Again.

I was lost in my thoughts when the doorbell rang. I shook those thoughts from my head, checked my parents in the mirror and answered the door. Devereaux stood in the doorway with a single red rose in his hand. He had gotten a haircut so that the top Phil just below his ears on the sides and back or shave and all the way down. He was dressed in a gray suit with a white shirt and a blood red tie. The same one from New Year's.

"Hi," I said, a little breathlessly.

"Hi, ma," he said stepping toward me.

I wrapped my arms around him and we kissed.

Dev bit his lip is he looked me up and down. My hair was pulled back in a long fishtail braid on my makeup was artfully done. I was wearing a black crop top with red lace over it and the matching skirt that came just below my knees.

"I just need to throw on my shoes. Then we can go," I said making my way to my bedroom.

I wasn't surprised when he followed me. He watch my movements as I slip my stocking feet into my black suede booties and bent to lace them up. Dev came up behind me, firmly placing his hands on my hips.

"If you start but we're going to miss the movie," I said, straightening so that I was pressed against him.

"I know. I'm just admiring all this," he said into my hair.

I turned and kissed him again.

"Let's go," I said, moving around him.

"Okay," he said following behind me.

On the way to the theater I found myself zoned out. I was lost in my thoughts and I knew Devereaux could tell.

"You okay, ma," he asked after I was quiet for a full five minutes.

"Yeah... I just got a lot on my mind. I'm sorry I've been so distracted. Are you excited to see Fifty Shades Darker?"

"Naw, not really. I didn't see the first one. I just know you've read the series like 100 times."

"You're amazing, you know," I said with a bright smile on my face.

"I try," he said grinning back at me.

Dev laid his free hand on my thigh. He grinned extra hard as his hand began to move down to the hem of my skirt. I slapped at his hand.

"Boy bye. I thought you weren't trying to miss the movie," I said moving his hand from near the hem of my skirt.

"I'm not. I just want to feel some skin," he said laughing.

"This is what got us into this mess," I grumbled under my breath.