" Don't worry," George said. " She's the cool one of us," he replied, smiling at me with a slightly sympathetic look. I sighed. 

Well, I was off to a great start.

"Whatever," the curly-haired boy mumbled as he stood from his spot in the chair and left the room.

Rude. 

What the fuck was wrong with him?

"That would be Matty," Adam said with an understanding smile. I guess they were used to this behaviour. I was overwhelmed. How great it would be, living with a ticking bomb like that matty-guy in the house.

" I'll show you your room," George said, taking my bags from my hand and leading me through the apartment until we reached the room that was going to be mine. It was a nice room. Not too small, not too big, but just perfect.

A bed, a dresser and a desk. The rest just needed to be decorated and personalised.

" Thank you," I said with a smile as George dropped my bags on the floor. He stood looking at me for a couple of seconds before saying something.

"I uh. I'm sorry about Matty. He's not a bad guy. He just has bad days at times," he explained.

" It's ok George. At least Adam and Ross seem like nice people," I replied, walking to the window to look out at the view, that I would wake up to every morning.

" I'll leave you to unpack and stuff, " he said, walking towards the door with a slight smile. I nodded and went to unpack my clothes.

---

I patted down the pockets of my dark grey denim jacket, pulling out the fag packet and a lighter which I had brought from home. I placed a cig between my lips and lit it, taking a long drag. I could instantly feel every muscle in my body relax. It was half past five, and I had gone out to sit on the steps in front of the building. This would all be ok. I just had to be open-minded and concentrate on my education. I took another drag and exhaled as somebody opened the door behind me. I didn't turn around, but it wasn't more than a couple of seconds before the boy with a head of curls had sat down beside me.

" You've got a fag to spare?" he asked, as if it was the most natural thing to expect after the first impression he had made an hour earlier. I didn't reply. I just dropped the packet in his lap. Unbelievable. Next time I saw George I would have to remind him that he is terrible at picking the right friends. I observed as Matty exhaled the smoke and leaned back.

" What are you studying?" he suddenly asked out of the blue, seeming generally interested. I had known him for an hour and already I was getting tired of his mood swings.

" Psychology," I replied, throwing the last bit of my cigarette on the ground and stepping on it. "Great," he mumbled, rolling his eyes at me. I was honestly getting annoyed.

" What is that supposed to mean?" I asked, crossing my arms in front of my body. He took a long drag.

" It's just the last thing I need."

"Why?" I looked at him, lifting my eyebrow. Could he just be straight forward for once?

" The last thing I need is somebody analyzing my behaviour, " he said, waving his hands above his head dramatically while saying the word 'analyzing'. I just shook my head. I was probably going to regret moving here.

" Too bad. I've already started." I took the fag packet and the lighter and tugged it into my pocket. He groaned and looked at me.

" Fantastic," he mumbled and took a long drag, holding in the smoke for a while before blowing it in my face.