I love you

"So?" Jay asked, after we were all sitting down.

"So?" I responded.

"Are we gonna talk about the elephant in the room?" He pokes his rice.

"What elephant?" Steve asks.

"Where were you today?" I demanded.

"At work." He responded, shoving rice into his mouth.

"With boots?" I sat up. "And we've had no rain for weeks. Plus the boots where muddy."

"We just had things to do." He told me. 

"Why won't you tell us?" I stared at him.

"I-I just can't." He didn't look at me.

"Jay sweetie, could you go upstairs for a second." I instructed Jay, who left.

After Jay took his plate and left, shit got real.

"Are you afraid?" I pushed my plate away. "Afraid that Jay and I can't handle it? Or that it's too dangerous?"

"No! It's just-" Steve trailed off." Its just....."

"Just What?" I spat.

"Why do you even need to know?" He yelled, and stood up.

"Because we're family and I want you to stay safe!" I stood up.

"We-well it's fine! Just! Ack! Go!" He turned around.

"GO?! GO WHERE?" I screamed, gesturing to the air.

"OUT! JUST-I-I'M LEAVING!" He stomped out the door, angry.

What did I do? Is it my fault?  Did I say something and now he doesn't trust me? What about Jay?

I headed upstairs and poked my head into Jay's room, he was looking outside, and eating.

"A-Are you guys gonna be ok?" He asks, his voice cracked, he was on the verge of tears.

"Awwww, yeah, we're ok." I hugged him and stroked his hair.

"Where's Steve going?" Jay hiccuped.

"He wanted to leave." I tell him, hugging him tightly.

"Is he coming back?"

I don't want to lie.  I don't know if he's coming back, and if he is, do I want him to come back?   What do I tell Jay?

"I'm not sure, but probably."

We just sit there, then I get up to shower.  I haven't in a while, but Jay stops me.

"Mom?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

"I love you too."

~Skippity~

I lay in bed, staring at the ceiling, when I heard someone at the front door, I was sure it was Steve, but I wanted to make sure, so I went downstairs, and sure enough, it was Steve.

"Hey...." He said, trying to tell me something, but I wasn't interested, and showed that by not saying anything and just leaving.

Steve followed after me, but I ran into my room, locked the door, and leaned against it, hoping he would understand.

Why don't you understand I'm just trying to help you?

{Steve's pov (for once)}

I followed Chess to her room, but she shut her door before I could say anything, and I heard the lock click. I sat down, leaning against her door.

Why don't you understand I'm just trying to help you?

I wonder about that, but she doesn't know I'm trying to help. And neither does Jayson. I'm scared that she'll leave me.

Maybe later I can tell her, that it's just for her and Jay's safety. That we need the money.

I don't move, but I sit there for a while, leaning against her door, hoping she'll let me in, let me hold her and tell her I love her.

I love her. I love you.

That's a thing I've wanted to tell her for so long, I love you. Does she know? Does she care? Will she love me?

I've also been asking myself those questions. And I've wanted to tell her that I love her, but it's so hard. I think while sitting there, and hear someone behind the door get up, the lock clicks, and the person goes somewhere in the room.

She was sitting there, against the door too. What was she doing? Why? Was she mad? All these questions and no answer, and I can't take it. I get up, and face the door, and slowly open it.

"Chess?" I ask, and she turns to face me.

"What?" She asks, and looks out the window, where she was when I came in.

I walked behind her and held her by her waist, resting my chin on her head.

"Why are you doing this now?" She asks, facing me.

"Because it's my apology." I tell her. "And I love you."

Word count: 730