Chapter thirty one

Elena's POV
    Once the kids left I let out a breath of air in relief. They didn't know their uncle. They didn't know that he could be callous and selfish, but they also didn't know that there was always a part of him that hoped to be good but was always brought back to his bad side by his rash and destructive decisions. I am brought out of my thoughts as I feel Stefan's arm tense and his voice cut the silence between the three of us.

Stefan:"What are you really doing here Damon."

Damon:"Like I said I'm here to get to know Lexi and Zach."

My brows furrowed in confusion and so did Stefan's.

Elena:"How...How do you-?

Damon:"Well it's a bit of a story, so why don't you just let me inside and-?"

He tried to get past the door, but Stefan stiffened even more and put his hand against the frame of the door firmly.

Stefan:"Absolutely not."

At this point I was worried about him. He was angrier than I had ever seen him before, so I decided to step in and try to calm him down.

Elena:"Stefan."

I softly and simply said his name whilst unraveling my arms from his left arm and turning towards his body slightly. I placed my left hand on his bicep and my right arm on his shoulder giving it a light squeeze. He turned his head and looked into my eyes. He took in a somewhat deep breath and turned his attention back to Damon.

Stefan:"You're not staying. I don't want Zach and Lexi more confused then they already are, so you have one hour."

Damon didn't say a word and slid past us as we made way for him.

Stefan:"So are you going to tell us how you know the names of our kids."

Damon:"Well if I want to be apart of their lives may as well start with the truth right? Were should I start? Oh I know how about when they were born-"

I could feel a small lump begin to form in my throat, and Stefan grew undeniably furious. His hands turned to fists, his body tensed up once more, and his eyes seemed to turn a slightly darker shade than their normal soft green color.

Stefan:"What the hell are you talking about?!"

Damon:"The day they were born. I came back a couple days before Elena had the twins. Christmas day they were sleeping in the nursery and you were all downstairs. I went in and saw Lexi in her crib by the door, and Zach was in his crib on the other side of the room. They were both sleeping peacefully, and I just stood there studying how they resembled both you. As for knowing their names. I checked in every couple months. I watched them play in the park, go off to school, basically grow up."

Elena:"Wait you know a-about everything."

Damon:"Yup. I know about pretty much everything that's happened since I was gone. I know about baby Gilbert and bon bon's kids. I know about vampire Barbie and mini Lockwood's kids. Then of course there's Ric's twins with the hot doctor."

I looked over at Stefan, and he and I shared the same look. We realized he didn't know about Leah, and I figured we should probably tell him. Since he seemed somewhat sincere, but I also didn't want to put her in any danger.

Stefan:"Okay you've established that you know a lot. That you haven't missed many details, but I want to know why your back now. Of all the times you could've come back why now?"

Damon:"Look I messed things up with you and Elena and literally everyone else, but I have gotten to know them, Lexi and Zach. They may not know me, but I know them. They're great kids, and I would love to be a part of their lives."

Stefan's tense body seemed to relax a bit. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, but Stefan and I had always wanted Damon to be a part of their lives. He just ran away before anything could even begin. I took a deep breath and jumped at the chance to speak before Stefan could say anything.

Elena:"Damon, I'm glad you're back. We're glad your back, but this is a lot to take in, and the twins are going to be home soon—"

Stefan"So you should go I'll call you tomorrow to discuss everything."

Damon:"Of course."

Damon walked to the door but turned back to us before he left.

Damon:"I'll see you guys tomorrow."

I gave him a small smile as Stefan gave him a simple nod, without any emotion. Once the door closed I let out a breath of air that I didn't know I was holding in. I turned to Stefan and stroked his upper arm gently.

Elena:"Hey, are you okay?"

He cleared his throat and turned to face me with a small smile.

Stefan:"Yeah I'm fine. We should call the kids."

I sighed and brought my hands up to the back of his neck.

Elena:"Stefan..."

My tone somewhat nudging him to talk to me.

Elena:"I'm right here. Okay? You don't have to talk to me right now but whenever you're ready I'm here."

I placed a kiss on his lips as his hands rest limply on my hips. I pulled away and he pressed his forehead against mine.

Elena:"I love you. I'm right here, and I'm not going anywhere. Okay?"

Stefan:"I know, and I love you too. I just want the kids to have a nice time today. Do I wish it was without Damon on their minds? Of course, but we'll just have to tell them everything later."

Elena:"Okay."

I smiled and half chuckled to lighten the heaviness in the room he placed one last kiss on my lips before we called Caroline, Tyler and the kids.

×××
    Please forgive me you guys I know it's been a while and for those of you guys who were still sticking around and reading the book I appreciate your support so very much. I love you all and hope you enjoyed this chapter, and I can't wait until you see what happens next.
      Love,
          Cami💛 💛