Nineteenth 👣-edited

Ryder's PoV:

"Would you like to come over to mine tomorrow?" I asked Carter, keeping a straight face in spite of my sweaty palms and quivering heart. Before Carter was able to respond though, I shook my head and leaned over, proceeding to tie the laces of my boots, getting ready to leave the Matvey residence.

"My family is pretty big and nosy so I don't think it's such a good idea. How about we go to the winter festival instead?"

Good job, Ryder, now he will think you wanna take him on a date.

I huffed, shaking my head and tying the laces of my shoes which got tangled due to the tremble of my fingers.

"Forget it, it's cold and we don't have much to see except some lights, the usual Christmas tree, a couple of booths and lots of stupid people."

I stood up, waiting for Carter to laugh at me or call me stupid. It was the first time I asked someone to come to my house and I felt like the nervousness could implode within me. I didn't know to what extent mine and Carter's friendship went and I didn't want to overstep any boundaries. Were we just acquaintance kind of friends or close friends? Or maybe we were friends with benefits because I was Carter's caregiver and in exchange he was my tutor. We benefited from each other.

My line of thoughts was disrupted when Carter chuckled and moved closer to me.

"I would love to go to your house, Ryder. Afterwards we could go to the festival. I want to buy some gingerbread and mistletoe."

I smiled, but then my happiness died. Why would Carter want mistletoe? I heard he had broken up with Simon. Did he already have another boyfriend? I started fretting my lower lip between my teeth.

"Are you spending Christmas at home?" I asked, feeling a bit guilty for the jealousy spreading through my senses.

"Yup. Where else would I go?"

I shrugged.

"I don't know... visiting family, friends."

"You've seen how my family's like and I didn't really keep in touch with friends. I just text the guys from the football team now and then."

I nodded, still not feeling reassured enough.

"How about you? Do you have any plans? Are you spending Christmas with someone special?"

I shook my head, my eyebrows rising a bit in surprise when I heard Carter mutter "someone like Ivy". He couldn't possibly have said that though. He doesn't even know that name nor what Ivy means to me.

"I am spending holidays with my family." I responded.

"Great! I can't wait to meet them tomorrow."

"Yes! Oh, right... I will come pick you up before your dads leave for work. You could even pack a small luggage if you want to stay over for a few nights. Just necessities though because you can always borrow clothes from me. We are almost the same size."

Carter nodded and we said our goodbyes, my smile never dying down. Not while I was driving, not when I got home nor when I ate dinner, not when I tucked my baby brothers to bed and texted Carter goodnight. Not even when I fell asleep, woke up and went to pick Carter up the next morning.

"We're here." I whispered when I turned the car in the parking lot of my aunt's house, watching Carter's eyes widen in awe.

"Holy heck! This house is so pretty I could become homesexual. Are you that rich, Ryder? If yes, why are you even walking? You could buy yourself a cloud and float on it instead."

I chuckled, parking the car and helping Carter into his wheelchair. It was true; aunt Debbie's house was big and flamboyant. I have been pretty astonished the first time I saw it too. When she saved me and my brother from our abusive parents and offered to adopt us I almost didn't believe her. I was taught that people were selfish and cruel. Her kindness was foreign to me.

"But for real man," Ryder continued his not-so-subtle gaping, "Why are you looking for jobs to pay a tutor when you could sell that tree in the back of the yard and buy yourself Cambridge or Harvad? Even this pavement looks more expensive than my life."

I rolled my eyes, restraining myself from scoffing.

"Stop being so dramatic. Plus, these are my aunt's. She takes care of me and my brothers. I wanted to pay the tuition by myself because she already does so many things for us and I don't wanna be a bigger burden."

Carter nodded.

"Fair enough. By the way, are your parents no longer in the picture?"

I shook my head.

"I'm glad." Carter offered me one of his gorgeous smiles which I returned. Then I spun around to twist the key in the lock and opened the entrance door. As soon as we walked into the hall three small human beings rushed towards us, stopping a few centimeters away from Carter and looking up at us curiously.

"Hi there!" Carter cooed friendly, waving at my brothers who just looked back at him blankly.

"Who is this, Ryry?"

"Is he your lover?"

"Why ish he in a wheewchair?"

"Who is the girl in the relationship?"

"Did you buy me Skittles?"

Some strange emotion swirled in Carter's dark eyes and soon a wholehearted laughter escaped his sexy mouth.

"Hey, boys! Uhm... This is my friend, Carter. No, he isn't my lover. And no, I didn't buy Skittles, Sky. I told you I'm not going to the shop."

Skyler started to pout, but Carter reached for his luggage and pulled out a couple of bags, offering them to my brothers.

"I didn't know what kind of sweets you guys like so I bought all of my favorites. You should have Skittles in there because it is my utmost favorite ."

Everyone took a bag except Ollie who ran behind me, peeking at Carter from behind my legs. He was always shy around strangers.

"You shouldn't have bought them so many things. They already have more than enough." I said, watching Carter shake his head.

"I went grocery shopping with my dad. I know how much children love gifts. I loved them too when I was a kid."

I told my brothers to thank Carter then I walked behind them, ruffling their curls endearingly.

"These are Mike and Skyler; they are seven and identical twins, and his baby boy here is Ollie, five."

"You said you have four brothers though."

"Oh, yeah. I don't know where their older brother is. He should join us for dinner."

Carter nodded then turned his attention towards my brothers.

"You all look like mini Ryders. It's nice to finally meet you."

The twins nodded, their mouths being full of sweets as they tried to respond Carter. Ollie just stood behind me, clutching my trousers in his tiny fists when Carter turned to look at him.

"Aww, is someone shy? I heard you ask why I am in a wheelchair. How about you come closer and I tell you my secret?"

Ollie looked up at me and when I nodded reassuringly he started walking towards Carter, rising on his tip toes when Carter leaned over to whisper in his ear. It was a true spectacle to see his face contort from awareness to shock then happiness and enthusiasm.

"You can't tell anyone though."

Ollie nodded, spinning around and looking from a twin to the other.

"Miwe, Swywar, Carter ish pwofessow Xsh." The little guy awed cutely, making his big brothers look at Carter in shock.

"I told you to keep it a secret!" Carter shook his head, offering me a bright smile.

Mike and Skylar were no longer interested in their sweets, now swirling around Carter with questions like he was a queen bee.

And with this he stole the hearts of my brothers, making my incessant smile widen even more.