Chapter XII: The Proposal

A/N: Wow guys we're on 19K reads! That might not seem like a lot for some of you but I'm so grateful I never expected to get any to be honest! Thanks so much x

~Blaise POV~

"Draco! Blaise!" I hear Narcissa call up the staircase. Excitedly, I hop down the stairs to join her and we wait for Draco. He appears promptly after me, we've both been anticipating this trip for that past week.

Today's the day we're spending New Year with Ginny and Hermione and their families. I slip my hand into my pocket and it closes around the small velvet box containing the ring. My heart races as I think about what I'm about to do.

We stride out of the manor into the front gardens and disapperate.

After the familiar sensation of being pushed through a long tube passes, we look up at the tall mismatched house. I love the originality of it, it's unlike anything I've ever seen before.

We trudge through the snow still thick on the ground until we reach the front door. We all stop and look at each other slightly nervously. Narcissa takes a deep breath and knocks on the door. Footsteps running down several flights of stairs are all we hear for a moment before the door bursts open. It's Hermione.

"Hi everyone!" She exclaims, although she's only looking at Draco. I quickly step forward before he can and hug her just to annoy him. Hermione hugs me back and whispers in my ear that Ginny is in her room and I should go and find her. I go without glancing back.

I climb the final steps up to Ginny's room and knock on the door.

"Come in," She calls softly.

I push the door open and the most beautiful girl I've ever seen is standing on the other side. Her long red hair tumbles down her shoulders in cascading waves and contrasts with the dark emerald green dress she's wearing. I stop, mouth open for a second and take in this wonderful sight before she runs into my arms and kisses me passionately.

"I missed you," I say, grinning and running my thumb along her jawline.

"Nowhere near as much as I missed you." Ginny replies.

Suddenly, we hear Mrs Weasley's voice call up the stairs to let us know that dinner is ready. I look at Ginny and she takes my hand as we walk downstairs to the kitchen.

After dinner, we all talk and play various games, anticipating the time when the clocks will chime midnight and the sky will be illuminated by thousands of colourful fireworks. Eventually, we get to  the countdown. "Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five," I get down on one knee. Ginny frowns for a second before realisation hits her. "Four, three, two, one!"

"Ginevra Molly Weasley will you marry me?" I say, grinning from ear to ear.

Ginny looks at me shocked. "I... no." she says.

Oh no. This is exactly what I didn't want to happen. Why? Was I not good enough for her? A million thoughts race through my mind as I watch Draco and Hermione break apart from their midnight kiss. Ginny grabs Hermione's arm and races upstairs.

~Ginny POV~

My heart is beating so fast it feels like it's going to burst out of my chest. I hear Hermione panting as I sprint up the stairs to my bedroom. She comes through my door a couple of moments later and flops onto my bed, exhausted.

"Gin, what're you thinking about?" she asks softly.
I sob. "How it's too soon but by saying no I've ruined everything." I choke on my tears and drop onto the bed next to my best friend. Hopefully she has some good advice because I can't lose Blaise like this. I hear a timid knock at the door and expect it to be him. However, Harry edges cautiously into the room and perches on the edge of my desk.