Simon sat around the table eating with his two uncles, Edd and Matt. The three of them enjoying a simple conversation when Tord appeared and sat down with them.

"Hey guys, hey sport!" Tord greeted them and raised his hand for a high five which Simon gladly did.

Edd and Matt giggled in amusement. Never have they thought that he would be attached to children such as his enemy's.

Or... If you can call them that...

Tord has been courting the Brit for a while now. Another story for another time.

"Hey uncle Tord!" Simon happily greeted. "I wanted to show you something! I made it myself!" He proudly told them, a big smile on his face as he puffed his chest in glee.
Tord raised his eyebrow in curiosity.
"Oh? What is it?"

"I'll show you later. Your food will get cold." Simon simply stated.

Tord chuckled.

"Alright, can't wait to see."

After lunch, Simon literally pulled Tord out to the backyard just to show him the little device.
Tord stood by the porch while Simon ran to the center of the yard and set the device down.

"Watch this!"

Simon counted from three and pressed a code on the pad before running back to where his uncle was.
He had been working on it for a few weeks without anyone knowing. The struggle was real.

The "box" opened up to reveal a screen displaying "Happy Mother's Day" with Tom's face in the bottom....

.... Was what Simon expected to happen anyway.

Instead, the box didn't do anything. You could hear it explode from the inside as a small line of black smoke arose.
The device was broken.
He failed yet again and tomorrow was the event he had anticipated.

Simon was in shock and embarrassment that he couldn't say anything. Instead he sat down and hid his face with his hands and groaned in frustration.

Tord tried to hold in a laugh. He didn't want to hurt the boy's feelings, but that was unexpected.
He looked down on the kid who was now curled up into a ball, weeping.
Tord knelt down and patted his back in comfort.
"Hey... It's alright, everyone goes through failure. It's nothing to be ashamed about."

Simon still whimpered.
Tord thought for a moment before lifting Simon up and placing him on his shoulders.
Don't worry, Simon's pretty light.

"Uncle Tord...?"

Tord went and picked up the gadget then carried him into his room and into another side room with a framed picture of a button.

They entered the lab and Tord gently set Simon down. Simon's eyes were wide with surprise.

"I thought I wasn't allowed in here???"

"I said not until you were old enough." Tord ruffled the boy's hair and walked up to his desk.
Simon happily followed from behind.
He was finally able to explore the place.

"Let's see how we can fix this."

Throughout the whole afternoon, the two spent time by fixing and developing the device. Simon learned newer tips and tricks. He was also found out that he snuck around the lab way before.
It was an honor for him to be in the lab he wasn't, now was, allowed to be in. He always looked up to Tord as his fatherly figure.

Not once did he ask about his actual father.

Nor did he care.

In fact, he hated his biological father for many reasons. Mainly for causing his mother grief.

It was late. The two had finished their project. There it stood proudly before them. Exhausted, they immediately fell asleep.
Tom came home.
He twisted the knob after unlocking it with his key and stepped inside the quiet house. It was two in the morning.
He first went up the stairs to check on his son.
He gently opened Simon's door only to find him missing.

'That's strange...'

After exploring the whole room, he walked down the hallway and noticed a bit of light in Tord's room. Curious, he entered and walked into the lab.
Before him lay Tord and Simon. Tord's arm draped over protectively his son while the boy slept soundly. Through further inspection, he concluded that they made a project together.
Tom heaved a sigh.

'At least he's doing well.'

He carefully took Simon out of Tord's grasp and tucked his son into bed. Then, he draped a blanket over Tord before leaving a light peck on his forehead.
He'd never admit it, but he's grown feelings for him over the past years.

Tom turned out the light before leaving to have his own sleep.

The next day, Tom awoke still feeling slightly tipsy. He barely had enough sleep, and he had to go back to work.
He got dressed and made his way downstairs to simply be greeted by his son holding a small gift.
Simon walked over to his mother and handed it to him; a bright smile on his face.

Tom looked at the gift in confusion. "My, what's this?"

"Open it!" Simon said excitedly.

Tom did as so, and he found the little gadget. He was confused at first, until it opened up and showed a small screen displaying the words "HAPPY MOTHERS DAY" With a picture of him below. The sound of a Music Box began to play.

Tom was flattered and in awe.

"Thank you Simon. I never knew today was Mothers Day, I was so caught up with work- I didn't realize it."

"It's alright mom, at least you get the day off today... Right?"

Tom sadly shook his head no.
"I'm sorry dear, but my schedule if quite packed. I really wish I could spend he day with you."

"Then why don't we adjust that?"

"Tord?"

"A little gift for the best and only mother around." Tord handed a small bouquet of white roses to Tom which the Brit gladly accepted. His face blushed.
"T-Thanks Tord... But how?"

"Well, I called your Boss. You have the day off!" Tord smiled.

Tom smiled as well.

"Thank you."
.
.
.
.
"You called, sir?"

"Do you have the reports?"

"Of course sir. He's very strong and high spirited. Quite intelligent. Healthy and in good shape. I heard he was twelve...?"

"The age of understanding... Dismissed."

The man nodded before the click of a door was heard.

"Time is running, Thomas~."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should I make this a book?