Stay

(I have an abandonment issue... It's not really abandonment, just someone going away...)

-Tom-

(Oh look, I do POVs now)

I sighed. Boxes piled on each other. Some of them being moved to the truck outside in the driveway.

It was February.

I watched as my husband Tord took his belongings.
We were both silent. No words were exchanged between us. Just glances.

As he was loading the truck, I stood on the doorway to watch. I felt saddened to the fact that he was leaving.

Leaving after everything we've ever gone through, leaving after everything we've done, after everything we achieved, leaving....

His family...

I heard the small footsteps of my only child. He rushed downstairs to see what was happening; a big smile on his face as soon as he saw the truck.

"Torm, stay in-"

"Ma! Look! A truck!" He exclaimed.
My heart melted at his sweet smile. How I long for that to remain.

Tord heard his voice and walked over to him.
He bent down to his size, asking if he'd like to get in the truck.

My son lit up with excitement. He was going to ride a truck for the first time.

We let him sit behind the wheel. He pretended to drive the truck; thinking he was actually driving.

Me and Tord just stood there watching.

I looked over to him.

I could see the smile on his face.

I could feel the same emotion.

It quickly vanished though.
That smile that I loved to see so dearly...

Tord reached in to help Torm down.

I took Torm into my arms as he giggled in delight.

"I'll be taking my leave now." Tord stated.

I couldn't bring myself to say anything. I simply nodded in response. I didn't want to feel anything.

He hopped into the driver's seat, gave us one last glance, and left; the truck becoming smaller in the distance.

We waved goodbye.

All I have now is my little guy.

As soon as we entered the house, Torm rushed upstairs; the smile still showing on his face.

I, however, felt overwhelmed. I suddenly felt small, vulnerable, whilst everything around me felt larger than before. A few missing belongings causing much space in the house.
I sighed.

'Why? Couldn't you have stayed?'

I slid down the wall as tears began to stream down the sides of my face. It had only been a few minutes and yet I already missed him.
I was sobbing.

I felt so many emotions collide.

I couldn't express how I felt. The only sounds filling the silence were the muffled cries that could offer me nothing.

'Was there something I did wrong?'

-------------------------------------------

It was night. I walked down the hall over to Torm's room to tuck him into bed.

I knocked on the door. "Torm?"

No response.

I gently turned the knob and opened the door only to see him sitting up. He must've waited for me.

I walked closer and sat at the edge of his bed. He perked up to look at me.

"It's time to sleep, Torm." I smiled as he readied himself for slumber.

But the moment I was about to sing, he sat up asked me a question I would never forget.

"Mom... Is there another truck coming to take you away...?"

From that statement, I felt the same emotions rush back to me from earlier. Tears began to form in the corner of my eyes.

He began to cry.

"Shh, it's alright hun. Everything will be fine." I engulfed him in a warm embrace; tightly a protectively, I held him in my arms.

I kissed his forehead.
"Torm, there isn't another truck to take me away. I'm not going anywhere. I'm not gonna leave you. I'll always be here no matter what."
I heard him sniffle.
I began to cry too. Tears trickled down as I held him closer.

I would do anything for him. Even if I had to sacrifice myself.

"When it all feels so big, til' it all feels so small...

... I'll be here to stay..."