Niko lifted a mask from my dresser and handed it to me. It was no dainty mask of silk and crystal. Instead, it would cover all but my lips, and the surface was covered in iridescent scales. Rising up on the right side of my face was a tower of pearls and shells. If Agnes saw me in this, she would have a difficult time believing that I wanted no part of my royal heritage. Because that's what I saw in the mirror- a queen.

"Damn girl." Tara walked in a circle around me, giving the gown a critical eye. "I don't think we even need to make adjustments."

"What shoes will I wear with it?"

"You won't need shoes. This party is happening on the beach."

"I don't know," I said, worrying over ruining the gown. "This doesn't seem very beach appropriate. And it's freezing out."

"Nothing we're going to be wearing will be, but it's just for the one night. Not to mention, I can totally see you wading out into the ocean in that dress. The train will float around you like moonlight. Besides, after midnight, you'll have scales of your own. I bet you're going to be magnificent."

Changing the subject, I asked, "Have either of you talked to Branna? Why hasn't the Council been told about Molly? About what Lorelei's true plans?"

"I spoke to her," Tara admitted. She slid a comb of pearls into her wild curls. "She thinks it's best we keep this to ourselves for now. Anything we present is going to look like an attempt to save you. Afterward, we can tell everyone the truth. Once you're safe."

"You mean when everyone hates me and is out for blood?"

"Exactly," Niko chimed in. "It's our get out of jail free card."

"Don't you think we're misjudging people? We're so certain everyone's moral compass points north, but there are going to be people who will think my death is justified. One life to end everything. You can all have your lives back."

"Stop it." Tara spun around and grabbed my hands. She squeezed them and narrowed her dark eyes as she continued, "I don't want to hear you say that again."

"But think about Al-"

"I have thought about Al, and I was so, so angry at you in the beginning. Even though I knew it wasn't your fault, but after I had time to calm down, I realized two things. Al made his choice. He's responsible for his actions. And if I was willing to sacrifice you to make my life better, then I was no better than Lorelei."

I sniffled, trying to hold back the flood of tears. She was making this so hard, but I steeled my resolve. In a few hours, this would all be over, and my friends would be free from the curse.

"She's right, you know. It may take some time, but when everyone realizes the truth, they will rally behind you. We will fight to keep you and your future daughters safe."

"At the cost of your sons."

Tara drew me into a crushing hug. "That's only if we don't find another solution. For the longest time, we didn't have hope. In all these years, a daughter hadn't been born to the Halloran family, and then you came along. I believe this is just the beginning of solving everything."

I cupped her cheeks in my hand and pressed my forehead to hers. "Me too."

                                                  **********************************

I thought choosing our dresses was going to be the hardest part of getting ready. Wrong. In the months since I'd left home, I'd forgotten what happens when multiple girls were trying to do hair and makeup. My room, which I'd always felt was too big, now felt tiny as we all vied for the best lighting and mirrors. But somehow, we managed to get it done, and I couldn't suppress the thrill zinging through my body as I walked down the stairs in my fairy-tale dress.

Dylan waited in the foyer, his presence popping my gilded bubble. He gave an appreciate whistle and smiled. The pride I saw in his eyes nearly undid me, but I kept my chin lifted as I strode to the door.

"You look beautiful, baby girl."

"Thanks." I shrugged on my coat and stuffed my feet into my boots. The girls promised they would make sure the party was warm enough for our lightweight dresses and bare feet.

"Ladies, you look lovely as well."

"Thanks Mr. Halloran," they murmured with little enthusiasm before skirting around me to get out of the door.

"Now, you know you need to be home by ten thirty," Dylan said, crossing his arms over his chest and blocking the exit. "Not a minute later."

"Of course. I'd hate to be late to my own death."

"It's not a death, Isla. Not a true one. Just the end of one life to begin another."

Oh, how I wanted to tell him he was wrong, but I couldn't trust that it would actually change his mind. "Sure. I'll be here on time."

"Now, go enjoy your birthday. Just think- by this time tomorrow, you can be together with them in the ocean."

"As long as I can get far, far away from you, I'm good with whatever," I said, squeezing past him and into the cold gloaming.

"Isla!"

I paused.

"I love you."

My shoulders hunched against the words. They tried to penetrate my shield like well-aimed arrows. It seemed the closer we drew to midnight, the more emotionally vulnerable I was becoming. At this rate, I was going to be a sobbing mess by nine.

"Isla, are you coming?" Niko called, lifting her skirt as she waited for me at the end of the drive. "Everyone should be at the beach now. Don't wanna keep Kieran waiting. Not in that dress!"

Straightening, I fought the urge to look over my shoulder. I wouldn't look at him. Let this moment be our last. One step forward.

"Yes! I'm coming."