Chapter 15 - The Pros and Cons of Bamboo

Greg’s efforts to catch a fish proved successful on his second day of trying. It took most of the day, standing out on various exposed rocks where the fish liked to congregate to get the knack of it, but gradually his skill with the harpoon-like spear improved. By mid-afternoon, he’d managed to spear a fish as long as his arm. By contrast, the little fish Susan had been catching were smaller than his hand. Feeling pleased with himself, he took it back to Susan’s camp. She was there working on making more rope when he arrived, and was so excited about the large fish, she wanted to hear all about it’s capture. But Greg didn’t feel like talking. Instead he left it with her to tend to while he went to work on another log.

Susan frowned as she watched him go. She’d know Greg to go off on his own a time or two since they’d been on the island together, but on this day he seemed particularly distracted and it concerned her.

That night she served them a supper made from the large fish, it’s flesh roasted with one of the gourds. It was delicious and Greg seemed to enjoy it, but even over their meal he had little to say. He left as soon as it was over, returning by himself to the cave, never once making any reference to Susan rejoining him or objecting when she stayed on the beach to sleep. It was so out of character for him, that Susan was actively worried about him.

She lay awake most of the night wondering how she could help, idly staring up into a star filled sky when she saw a plane streak by. She sat up excitedly hoping they would see her, when she realized anyone on board was unlikely to see her small little fire, or if they did, would they know what it was. From that far up, their entire island would look just like one more scattered dot in the South Pacific sea. Feeling her own depression return, Susan lay back down.

Greg came down to join her in the morning, bringing her fresh bananas to share.

“Where did you get these?” she asked.

“Up there,” he motioned to the top of the cliff. “This longer spear is just as good at bringing down bananas as it is in catching a fish.”

“Thank you,” she said as she put one on a stick and began to roast one for herself.

“You know you don’t have to stay down here,” he told her when he saw the worried expression on her face.

“I don’t mind really. And I don’t want to ruin anything,” she insisted feeling pleased he sounded more like himself. “Besides, there are some advantages to sleeping out here.”

“Like what?” he asked doubtfully.

“I saw a plane last night,” she told him.

“You did? Where?” Greg asked. His face brightened considerably.

“It flew overhead, about 30,000 feet up, and I realized that even if my fire had been bigger and they saw us, they would never know what it was. There are so many islands out here, and there are so many that have settlements on them, that unless someone comes by here looking for us, we will never be found.”

Greg’s face sobered as he realized how unlikely it was that they would be seen. “It’s been a month Susan. Yesterday was the first of May. They’ve stopped looking.”

“I know.” She looked at him solemnly. “I am glad you are here though,” she told him seriously. “I’m glad I didn’t wind up here on this island alone. I am also glad I don’t have to leave here alone.”

“Me too. Are you feeling any better?”

“Some. Are you?”

Greg smiled sorrowfully and nodded.