Chapter 27 - The Island of the Hunt

The Oyster was moving beneath her again when Susan awoke. She lay in her hammock a while, watching the ceiling of their little cabin as her bed swayed back and forth. It wasn’t until she’d been watching it for a while that she realized the light coming through the window wasn’t quite as brilliant as it usually was. Feeling curious, she climbed out of bed to take a look.

“Good morning,” Greg called across the deck when she appeared in the doorway.

“Good morning,” Susan answered automatically while in the midst of a yawn. “What’s happened to the sun?”

“We have clouds today,” Greg said.

“We do?” Susan asked looking around, blinking at the brightness.

“We do. Do you need to stop?” Greg asked.

“Please,” Susan said.

He released the sail, allowing the boat to slow until they came to a near stop. With his help, Susan put down the ladder and went for a quick swim before coming back on board.

“Thank you,” she said as she stood dripping wet up on the deck once again.

“You’re welcome. Are you ready for breakfast?” Greg asked as he went to the hatch where they kept the coconuts and other fruit.

“I can get it,” Susan said. “There is some kiwi we should finish. They’re starting to go bad.”

“How many are left?” Greg asked as he drew up the ladder and returned to the helm, once again tightening the sail.

“About a half dozen,” Susan said as she retrieved the basket they were in.

She prepared all six and they ate them for breakfast before she took a shift at the helm, gazing up at the sky as she did.

“You weren’t kidding about the clouds. Where did they come from?” she asked wonderingly.

“They’ve been approaching from the southern horizon since dawn. So far, there’s been no extra wind to speak of, though the clouds themselves are moving relatively rapidly,” Greg reported.

“That’s what you get for talking about the good weather last evening,” Susan teased.

“Indeed. It’s almost enough to make me believe in your jinx theory,” Greg said evenly.

“I trust not,” Susan said suddenly serious again.

“I might, if it starts to rain.”

“Don’t say that!” Susan protested.

Greg chuckled. “You can’t honestly tell me you believe the simple act of talking about the weather has any actual effect on it.”  

“No, not really,” Susan admitted. “But then again, I’m starting to believe in all sorts of things I never did before.”

Greg’s smile faded as he regarded her in concern.

“Not due to me, I hope,” he told her.

“Partly due to you,” Susan said.

“I never meant to do anything that might undermine your faith, Susan. You must believe that,” Greg said.

“I do, but I also know I’ve been changed just from knowing you,” Susan said seriously. “That’s not a bad thing Greg,” she assured him when she saw his expression.

Greg nodded. “I hope that is true,” he said earnestly.

“It is,” Susan assured him.

“So if this is the last of the kiwi,” he began again going back to a subject easier to talk about, “how long before you think we need to stop for more food?”