Chapter 15

Dumbledore got back to me the day after I left him a note. He asked me to come to his office sometime today when I had time. I rushed my lunch and hurried over to his office. When the Gargoyle saw me, he didn't even ask for the password but let me enter anyway. 

"Miss Potter, thank you for making it here on such short notice," Dumbledore said happily from behind his desk. 

"Yeah, no problem," I said, siting in the chair in front of the ancient looking desk. "I needed to see you because--"

"Professor Umbridge had sought you out," Dumbledore said knowingly. "Yes, she came to me with numerous questions about you." Dumbledore pulled out a quill and began writing notes on a spare piece of parchment while he was talking to me. "Well, i assure you, she has given up on her searches for the time being."

"So there is no record of me in the Ministry files?" I asked as I picked at my hair with a split end. 

"No, I am in possession of those documents," said Dumbledore. "I assure you, i will be filing them into the Ministry system in good time, they wont even know that they were not there before. They will simply think it was a mistake on their part," Dumbeldore finished.

"Could I, ah, see them?" I asked, wanting further proof than I was already presented that I was who I was. Plus, I never had had a birth certificate before. 

Dumbledore looked a little surprised, but got up and went to a drawer. He pulled out his wand and pointed the tip at the lock, and it flew open. His old, wrinkled hands shuffled though the papers until he found what he was searching for.

"Ah, here we are," Dumbledore said, holding up an official looking paper, then passing it to me. I looked over the yellowing parchment. 

"Thank you," I said, looking over at the simple paper, but it had a huge impact on me for some reason

"Thank you," I said, looking over at the simple paper, but it had a huge impact on me for some reason. I felt like I belonged, that it was real. "Three pounds and nine ounces..." I mumbled, looking at the chart.

"Did you and Mr. Weasley enjoy your little prank this morning?" asked Dumbledore as I looked over the certificate. I gulped and looked up

"Of course you knew it was us," I said sheepishly.