Chapter 21

-Cathy's pov  (Cuz why not)

  I woke up startled. I had a vague memory of the nightmare I was having before I woke up. It was very quiet except for the occasional light shuffling of blankets that I can only assume came from Nicole based on the direction I heard it coming from. I brought my legs up to my chest as I sat up and leaned against the wall that was next to the bunk I was in. I then remembered of one of the many times Red had to calm me down after nightmares.

  "Deep breaths. It was only a nightmare. Just breath in. Then breath out. Simple, right?" Red said, calming me down after waking up scared. He rubbed circles on my back and hummed a little tune that he knew would calm me down.

  "Where are you now you little trouble maker?" I quietly said to myself, a small chuckle escaping my mouth. I felt a warmth run down my cheeks before realizing that I was crying. I just let the tears flow, knowing that it would be best to let them out now rather than never. So many memories of the happy days that Red and I had, even during the damned apocalypse, came to me. I felt a weak smile form on my face while the tears kept flowing.

  "F*** you, Ross." I said quietly. There was a very faint but dramatic gasp. I turned to look where it came from and could barely see that Nicole was awake.

  "Oh my Irene, I thought you were an innocent potato." she said quietly but just loud enough for me to hear. This got a giggle out of me.

  "Red would be mad at me right now had he heard me, to be honest." I replied with the same quietness that she had.

  "Nightmare?" she then asked after a little while. She either could hear the sadness in my voice or could actually see my tears. I believe it was the first one considering how dark the room was. The only light came from the slight open door and even then it was still very dark.

  "Yeah. I'm fine. I just had a lot of feelings trapped." I replied.

  "Do you want to talk about those feelings?" she asked after a small bit of silence. I simply nodded before pulling on my hood and getting off my bunk. I felt Nicole hold my hand and pull me towards the door.

  "Let's talk over here so we don't bother Natassha. She has been through a lot as well." she said as we went to the couch in the living room area. The lights were dim but bright enough for us to see each other clearly. Lorenzo and Kyle seemed to have gone above ground, considering that they weren't there and left a note. When we got there, she sat on the armrest, wincing a little as she accidently pressed on the bandages that were covering her injuries, and waited for me to sit and talk.

  "I.... I don't know but I feel like.... maybe Red might be putting himself in danger." I started once I sat down, facing Nicole.

  "What's your relationship with Red?"

  "He is my older brother. Well.... adoptive, if I have to be completely honest..."

  "Brothers can be a pain. Then again, we can be a pain to them." she said with a smirk. I noticed this as an attempt to cheer me up a bit.

  "Yeah, they can be. But, it's just a bunch of dread that I feel. What do you think about that?"

  "I understand what you feel. My own little brothers used to bug me so much but I still cared for them. The day they... well... passed.... I had felt so many negative emotions. It was dread, anger, and sadness that controlled me the most though. I honestly still blame myself for their death. I should've been faster." Nicole spoke as she slowly broke to tears.

  "How did they die?" I quietly asked.

  "They," she took a deep breath,"they were supposed to stay inside a building we were in. I had cleared it out.... or... I thought I did. You can kinda guess what happened after."