Chapter 2

I lead Joe to my apartment. There isn't an elevator so we have to climb the stairs to level 4.
We're both heavy breathing when we reach the door to my little apartment.
We go in and I regret not cleaning up yesterday: the whole place is a mess.
I'm thinking that he'll be awkward but instead he just lets out a smile and stars walking around. He looks at the pictures on the walls and the paintings that I framed. Then he stops at my desk and he seems to notice that I'm writing a book. I want to go there and hide them, but I'm too late.
Reputation? Is this a book you're writing?
— Y-Yeah.
— Wow! I didn't know you were a writer! That's awesome!
— Thanks, Joe!
— Have you published any books yet?
We both sit down on my couch.
— No, actually... This is the first book that I'm writing. Besides that novel I wrote when I was 13, I say smiling.
— Oh, yes, I remember!
— Well, now I work for the local newspaper. I can't say that I particularly enjoy it, but they do give me parts to write sometimes. How about you? What have you been up to? What brings you to New York?

He sighs.

— I just arrived today. I just graduated medicine school and I...
— MEDICINE SCHOOL?! WOW JOEY YOU'RE A DOCTOR!
I jump up and down. I'm so happy for him!
He laughs.
— Well I'm not a doctor yet... But I'm hoping I might become.
— Sure you will! You can do anything!
— Thanks, Tay! Anyways, I'm looking for a post at a hospital. New York has been my dream forever. I can't believe you live here now!
— Me neither, honestly. NY is amazing. But I cannot say that I don't miss Nashville. And my family. But we visit a lot so it's okay.
— Oh! How are your parents? And how's Austin?
— They're good! Austin just got engaged!
— WOW! Really? Promise me you'll invite me to the wedding.
— I promise! Now let's go somewhere to eat. I know a good place around here. Sorry I brought you here. My place is a mess.
— I like it. I love the paintings on the walls. And the pictures. It makes the place really yours.
— Thanks! Now let's go eat! I'm starving.
— Where are you taking me?
— You'll see!

I lead Joe to my favorite restaurant where my friend Ed works. When we go in The Beatles are playing and Ed waves to me, than comes to greet us.
— Hey!
— Hey, Ed! This is my childhood friend Joe. Joe, this is my friend Ed.
— Nice to meet you! says Joe.
Ed exclaims, pretty loud in my opinion:
— Woah! You're from Britain too?
— Actually, I was born in Nashville but I moved in England 10 years ago.
— Are you sure?
— Yeah, I'm pretty sure! laughs Joe.
— Let me get you a table!
Ed leads us to a nice table for 2 in front of a window that shows the city.
— That's beautiful.
— Yeah.
Me and Joe sit down and start talking about unimportant things. We both order pizza and coke and the evening goes on smoothly.
— Hey, do you have a place to sleep tonight? You can sleep at my place if you want. I have a spare room.
— Actually, I don't. It would be great, thanks!

I smile but then I immediately regret saying that, because... because if Joe sleeps at my place, he will find out my secret.