To Blood and Bone Part V

Keith stared at Lance through the healing pod's glass. The Cuban boy looked rather peaceful while he was asleep, which was very different from his bubbly and alive consciousness. Keith was close enough to fog up the glass with his hot breath and cloud Lance's golden skin, which glittered under the light. Lance was rather... attractive, it was such a shame he was only into wo- Keith looked away before letting his thoughts continue.

Turning around and groaning, Keith began to pace the room, being careful to avert his gaze from the sleeping Paladin. This was hard, as Lance kept drawing Keith's eyes to him in a way Keith didn't exactly appreciate. Keith felt partially to blame that Lance was in the healing pod in the first place, as Keith had frozen in place after Lance's spectacle and hadn't moved until he heard the hundreds of shots being fired drizzle to a stop. When Keith got there, it was too late. Lance was passed out on the ground and Shiro was heaving the Blue Paladin onto his broad shoulders. Keith had opened his mouth to say something, but then closed it and moved to help Shiro carry Lance. Lance was extremely lucky not to have gotten shot in any necessary areas- just his shoulder. Again, not the best place to be shot if decided, but not the worst.

Keith was snapped out of his thoughts when Allura stepped into the room. "How is he?" she asked, softly. Her white hair was pulled into a messy, almost ponytail-like bun, and she looked like she hadn't slept in a while. She was wringing her hands and shifting from foot to foot. Keith cast her a small smile without making it forced, recognizing that Allura was extremely nervous about the entire situation.

"He's doing fine, he'll be back in the battle field soon," Keith replied after a few a seconds. Tension visibly left Allura's shoulders and she settled into place next to Keith. "How's Blue?" Allura was piloting Blue while Lance was in the healing pod--which had been a few days already--and the stress of having to pilot Blue so unexpectedly was taking a toll on Allura.

Allura shrugged. "She's fine, I guess. Blue really misses Lance though-- it's a good thing his healing is almost done." She stared at the Paladin through the glass, absentmindedly tapping her fingers against the glass. She paused for a few minutes, evening her breath before turning her head to Keith. Her sparkling blue eyes searched his for a few short seconds.

"Do you ever... feel bad about things that happen to Lance?" she finally asked quietly.

Keith stared at her. "What do you mean?" He asked, although he was sure he knew what the answer was already.

Allura tucked a strand of stray hair behind her elvish ear. "You know what I mean. We don't treat Lance the best nowadays and I think it's taking a toll on him. I just... I'm not the best at snapping myself out of a moment of anger to yell at someone. Even if they're responsible."

Keith stayed silent for a few moments, thinking. What Allura was saying made sense, even if Keith wanted to admit it. They shouldn't take things too far when expressing their anger, even if said person completely deserves it. And they've been releasing their rage upon Lance these past few days more than they should be.

Allura sighed and ran her hand through her hair quickly, taking her ponytail out and let her shining white hair fall. "I'm going to go check on Shiro in the meantime. Make sure to be at dinner." Allura said, before knocking the wall thrice and leaving the room as she smiled softly.

Keith turned back to look at Lance through the pod. Oddly, the Cuban boy no longer looked as peaceful as he had been before Allura had entered the room. He looked... sadder and incomplete, almost. Keith wasn't exactly sure if he had always looked that way and Keith was just over-exaggerating emotions because of the conversation with Allura or not.

Keith took a moment to examine the room. It was extremely empty and there was nothing that Keith could really sit on or even lay on for a good night's rest. Keith decided that he would just have to leave Lance on his own for the time being- and Keith desperately hoped he was there when the Blue Paladin woke up. He'd need a friendly face, not a scolding one like what Allura and Shiro would have on. Admittedly, Keith has had his fair share of scolding Lance in the past, but he was very determined to stay away from the sort of conversation for a while. After all, this time Lance didn't need the disappointment. He had managed to shoot 3 Galra soldiers after being shot and before passing out, and he had saved Keith during his one-on-one, and although Keith was extremely grateful for that, he had to admit his ego had taken a deadly blow afterwards.

Keith ran a hand over his face, sighing. "Stay here," he said to no one. He wasn't sure if Lance could hear him, but he didn't really care because Lance wouldn't have cared.

Happy-go-lucky Lance wouldn't have cared about the conversation Keith had had with Allura previously, because he was too self-centered to become depressed over that. Lance didn't care about what anyone thought about him- unless it was a pretty girl- or what anyone had to say about him. He was amazing like that- although he could take some constructive criticism. Keith admired him greatly for that.

Happy and bubbly Lance wouldn't be hurt by one small conversation.

Right?

A/N: finished sentence: Lance was rather... attractive, it was such a shame he was only into worms