Chapter Fifteen

Word Count: 1688

~Rosie

Time could be showing me anything.

We sit opposite each other, waiting. He's given me next to no information, which only makes me more nervous. My foot taps impatiently on the floor, as we wait for the younger Time to appear. Apparently, Time bought an apartment right next to his old one to visit sometimes. I'm about to find out why he likes this place so much.

"You'll have to go out alone, and keep a low profile. He will be too distracted to notice you," he tells me. He looks solemn, and I am too. I'm going to be watching this alone, witnessing what Time is skeptical about. "I'm afraid I can't explain myself right away, either."

"So it's bad?" I say.

Time shrugs, before the time on the clock catches his attention. He motions for me to stand, which I do so quickly, wiping my swearing palms against my pants.

Before I had the chance to step out the door, Time grabs my arm, holding me back for a single moment. When I look up, I see concern floating around in his eyes. He skepticism is making me nervous, still. Seeing an immortal like him unnerved by his own past and letting me see it almost makes me want to close my eyes.

"Know that things change, and that I'm happy to talk about this afterwards," he tells me, to which I nod silently. We'll see how bad this really is.

After being given a jacket with a hood, I slip it over my head, and slip out the door,. The place is empty, the door beside Time's current apartment is closed tightly, no one in sight. I'm not sure how I'm going to get a good look at this, but I'll try, at least.

Sounds from the back of the hallway alert me of his arrival.

Pulling the hood further up, I hold the book that was handed to me by Time had a prop, pretending to leave up against the wall and read it.

Does Time really think this will work?

Glancing to my right, I watch what looks like younger Time and a girl stumble down the hallway, laughing animatedly between each other. I try to swallow, but my throats is arid dry. The closer they get, the better look I get at the two.

They are dressed like they have just been out all night. A few buttons to his dress shirt seem to be missing, and his jacket is pushed back. He looks happy about it, though, but the closer he gets, I can see those golden eyes are glazed over. I never knew immortals could drink, but clearly he's been out doing something of the sort, tonight.

The girl he is with is admittedly beautiful. She's the conventional pretty too, that plenty of people flock around on a night out. Tonight, it's clear, that Time got lucky to get her. Or maybe it's the other way around.

The closer they get, the more obvious it becomes.

I can see why he's interested in her. She has a perfectly angular face, a big round eyes the colour of milky chocolate, with full red lips to match. Her hair is as golden as Time's eyes, it reach all the way down her back to her waist. Even I happen to notice the way her right dress hugs every inch of her. I doubt she's insecure about anything.

Are these the kind of girls Time is into? It makes sense, I mean look at her. She's perfect. But then again, she doesn't look anything like me.

It's disappointing, honestly.

I might not be trying for Time's affections, but knowing that even though I'm his mate, I'm not his preference in girls. Maybe that's quick for me to assume, but I can't help it when I see who he is bringing back to his room on this night.