chapter twenty-eight

C E L E B R A T I O N

(noun) the action of celebrating an important day or event

• • •

Tyeson almost couldn't believe himself, he actually agreed going on a dinner date with Emily. He didn't know how she managed to convince him and then get him here, but obviously she did, because right now he was pretending to listen to all that she was saying while staring at an old couple who were still full on in love with each other. Scenes like these always made him wonder if it could actually be real, some day. Genuine love had always seemed impossible to him.

It sounded harsh thinking these thoughts while Emily was sitting right in front of him, but he knew they were both to blame for this hideous 'relationship'.

It was Friday night, and normally he and Edmund would meet up with friends from the soccer team, but since the whole situation between him and Mike, it didn't happen as often anymore. Some of them didn't seem to mind what had happened, but others obviously held grudges. Yet, the weirdest thing about tonight was that not a single person seemed to have plans, according to all the group chats at least. Tomorrow was Halloween though, so maybe all plans and parties were settled for Saturday night only.

"So, what do you think?"

Tyeson finally looked back at Emily, frowning and wondering what the hell he was supposed to be thinking about.

"About the costumes, silly?" Emily tried explaining but Tyeson honestly hadn't even heard one word of what she had said. He could guess it had to do with Halloween and dressing up, but that thought only made him shiver already. Costumes and scary makeup weren't his kind of things. Actually, just the whole Halloween festive in general.

"I don't like dressing up, Emily. You know that." He stated while avoiding her stare.

"Yes, but I do." She smiled shortly. "Plus, what if I told you the costumes were Star Wars themed?"

Tyeson looked up at her, being surprised at what she had said and curious about what was to come.

"You bought costumes?" Did they plan something months ago that he now forgot about? He totally wasn't following their conversation or what exactly they were going to do for Halloween tomorrow. Of course it was typical of Emily to already have made plans for the evening.

"Yes." She answered, her eyes twinkling of excitement. "For tomorrow?" Tyeson continued, knowing she was liking every second of this. She got his attention this time, and she for sure wasn't going to let go of it.

"For tonight."

"Tonight?" He raised his eyebrows. What was this girl up to? And an even better question, how did she come up with the Star Wars themed costumes, because he was quite certain she didn't do this on her own? Three months ago she didn't even know he liked fantasy movies yet, and as far as he remembered she didn't care about the new information either, because she despised them.

"Yes." Emily was grinning, only focusing on Tyeson and Tyeson only. "I might have planned a little surprise for you."

He honestly loved surprises a lot, but when it came to Emily he never really knew what to expect. There was a reason behind her every move, and a natural act of kindness wasn't something she would ever understand. Not that he was so much better at them, but still.