chapter thirteen

G A M E

(noun) willing to do things that are new, difficult, or that involve risks

• • •

Autumn finally admitted it to herself, she had serious problems. Tired wasn't even the word to describe her anymore.

If it wasn't the normal, daily life stress that was mostly caused by school, it were consuming thoughts of Ashton. If it wasn't the urge to keep thinking and thinking every damn night, it were nightmares keeping her awake. If it wasn't the sadness taking over, it were the more confusing feelings like anger that took her time and sleep.

She wanted to change so bad. Change her thoughts and mind, but nothing seemed to work.

"You uh- okay?"

She turned her head to look at Tyeson. "Mhuh."

He just kept nodding, obviously not believing her murmur. These days she wasn't even convincing herself anymore. She stared out of the window, looking at all the moving cars beside her.

It was Friday today, the only thing that made this minute a little more bearable. And maybe the fact she got to sit next to Suki in almost all her classes, and the fact she got to hear Edmund's stupid jokes.

Luckily, there were still the small things that made her days okay.

She looked back at Tyeson who was clearly concentrated on the road.

He seemed a bit off himself these past days. Not in the tired way, just the normal routine and sad way. Always frowning and looking around like he's searching for something he can't reach.

His tattoo caught her eye and she couldn't help but keep staring at it. It really did intrigue her.

Tyeson was wearing a T-shirt with short sleeves because apparently the sun was going to come out today. Autumn wasn't counting on it. In all honesty it looked more like it was going to rain again: the sky grey, clouds present and a slight, cold breeze. Lets say she was happy to be wearing a sweater.

Besides she loved the sweater weather and just fall in its entirety.

"Something's wrong?" Tyeson looked at her.

Okay, maybe she had been staring at him for too long? Yes, she probably had.

"No." She put some hair strands behind her ear and focused back on the window at her side and the outside world.

It's just strange, sometimes she felt like a whole different person being in a car with Tyeson alone. Like she didn't have to worry about anyone or anything else. Just the little raindrops that were starting to fall out of the sky, the soft music in the background, and him.

Was it weird she felt that comfortable?

Tyeson parked his car at the end of the parking lot because as most of the times all the other places were already taken. There were still three minutes before school started, yet all those people were already here.

She remembered how she didn't even leave her bed 20 minutes before school started last year. Living close by had its advantages.

"Winter?"

"What?" She raised her eyebrows while throwing her backpack over her shoulder. Tyeson looked pretty confused at the moment, making her smile. "What?" She repeated.

"You were-" He shook his head slowly. "Never mind."

She frowned at him but didn't say anything more. They both weren't really themselves today, like they weren't fully awake yet.