21. Woman's Work

"This really is incredible, Agent Rivera."

Quinn stared at the x-ray of her ankle as she sat in the imaging corner of the medical department. She squinted, as if it would help her find some sign of the fracture that had been there just three days ago. She knew it had been there. She'd felt the pain of it.

"How long does a fractured ankle usually take to heal, Dr. Irving?"

"Minimum, six weeks, Agent," the doctor told her with an incredulous chuckle as she unwrapped the bandaging from Quinn's leg. 

"So, um-how do we explain that?" Quinn pointed to the x-ray projected up in front of them. 

"I'm as confused as you are, agent. Honestly, we haven't found any irregularities in your DNA. Nothing that would explain a fractured metatarsal and equally as fractured fibula healing to almost no sign of breaking in three days." The doctor told her.

Quinn didn't know what to think. She was sure this had something to do with her powers. It probably was no coincidence either that she was so physically advanced, why her body could endure so much. She didn't know how to figure it out, though. She wasn't sure how to go about figuring out her identity--the source of her power.

"If you find anything, doctor, please just let me know," Quinn said as she stood up off of the bed. 

"Will do, Agent. Just please be easy on your foot. I'm not really sure the proper protocol for you, since I have never dealt with something like this, but I suppose resting will be in your best interest." The doctor told her as she picked up her clipboard and stood by Quinn. 

"I'm sure it is," was all Quinn could say. She knew she wouldn't be resting any time soon.

Taking the elevator and walking up to the common room on her perfectly normal  foot, her mind couldn't help but be overrun by thoughts of who she really was. It made her uneasy, not knowing where she came from. She wondered what secrets her mother might've kept from her and the biggest secret that died along with her mother--her father.

As she entered the common room, she heard multiple voices inside. Steve and Sam were at the round dining table, going over what sounded like a plan. 

"We can't let the weapons fall into their hands so-" Steve stopped mid-sentence upon seeing Quinn enter the room, her foot without a brace and walking totally normal. "Quinn."

"What kind of antibiotics are you taking?" Sam asked as he looked over at Quinn from over his shoulder. She went over and looked down at the graphic in front of them on the table. 

"Dominican Republic," Quinn read off the top of the mission's details. "What's going on in the Dominican Republic?" 

Not prepared to read the very densely written and illustrated plan, she looked up to the two men for the details. 

"A group of Colombian freedom fighters are making an exchange with this mafia. There's  hostages involved."

"The hostages are from Colombia." Quinn briefly noted off of the paper.

"Exactly."

"Hold on. An exchange for what?" Quinn asked.

"The freedom fighters intercepted weapons from the mafia two months ago and they want them back." Sam said.

"So they free the hostages for their weapons back?" Quinn asked. Steve and Sam nodded. "We're dealing with the mafia here. These people fight dirty. How come only you two are on this mission?"

"Everyone else is in Portugal to intercept a cartel deal. Nat was supposed to be with us, but they needed more backup." 

"Okay," Quinn stood, "then count me in."