16. Conspiracy Theories

"So, you're saying the bombings were a government operation.""I know it sounds like a reach, but–"

"–no," Quinn stopped him as everything slowly started to make sense in her head, "that's why the blasts only hit the inner-city. That's why the paramedics and rescue teams came out so late."

"There's plans of cleaning the entire inner-city up, making it into a high-end area for the upper-class."

Quinn was furious and disgusted at the thought. "Population control and free real estate all in one blow. And they blame it all on an inner-city kid."

"It's corruption at its worst. I knew since the infiltration of HYDRA throughout the government that there might still be some stragglers—"

"—then why haven't you done anything?" Quinn raised her voice. "Expose them! Work against them instead of for them!"

"I am one man, Miss Rivera." He calmly responded despite her clear outrage. "If I recklessly voice my opposition, it would not take a lot for them to eliminate me."

She still had a look of distrust on her face as she stared back at him, but she understood his angle and couldn't deny that it was strategically wise. 

"So what do you want me to do?"

"Your name is well-known. Your the hero of this city and people will listen to you. The government knows this but they also know that they can't eliminate you because you're an avenger."

"Still not answering my question," Quinn said.

"The election is quickly approaching and I'm already slated to—"

"—you're running for Governor?"

"Yes and I think you can help me campaign as well as provide some kind of protection."

Quinn thought about this. What did it mean for her place with the avengers?

"Look," the Senator noticed her deep contemplation, "you don't have to give me an answer now. The election is still months away."

"I," Quinn paused as she took in this proposition, "will sleep on it."

"Of course."The car was silent for a second, the Senator continuing to glance at the young woman as she fell deeper and deeper into her own thoughts, her brows knitted together as the wheels in her head turned.

"I truly believe that you are the only person who can finally change things, Miss Rivera."Quinn looked over and stared at the man, searching his green eyes for a certain lie or exaggeration. She couldn't find one. The glass in front of them then slid down with a small squeak, Winston appearing in front of them.

"We've arrived to your home, Miss Rivera."

Quinn looked out through the windshield, the dark street that was so familiar to her, looking so incredibly miserable. The lamp posts were collapsed on the street as well as debris such as bricks, street signs and even furniture strewn everywhere.

"Everyone's gone," she lowly muttered as she got out of the car and looked around at all the crumbling buildings. Her own building, which used to be made of dusty, disintegrating red brick looked like it had a bite taken out of the top corner. It was sad to see.

The Senator appeared beside her as they looked directly up at the building.

"Is this it?" He asked.

"What's left of it." Quinn said with a sigh before stepping over the piles of debris nearly covering the front entrance. The Senator followed after her.

"You don't have to come, Senator." She said, looking back at him as he almost fell over, stumbling over the pile. 

"I'd like to escort you inside. It's unsafe." He uncertainly stated as he watched her effortlessly pick up bricks and cinderblocks, throwing them aside.