{6} Mourn

-three months ago-

So many people...burning...

Help! They screamed. She couldn't do anything, though. Moon! Help!

I can't do anything! She screamed back. I don't know what this is!

She watched as they slowly turned into ash, a scream forming in her mouth, but never making their way out.

She woke up, gasping for air.

The next day, Carnelian was announced dead.

~

Mourn, my soul, for the end has come.

And you, my dear, is the cause.

"Welcome to your tape, Sora Mud"

~

Moon had always loved to go outside at night and watch the stars. And if a comet or two flew by, that was a bonus.

One day, she decided to go outside. She hasn't since Winter had died, and she never planned to. She didn't want to go out there alone. She wanted to share he beauty of the night with somebody. But now, she had something else in her hand: a tape.

She had always loved the small space by her apartment room. It seemed like a little paradise. No worries, no money problems, no mother crying to her sleep at night.

But, on a particular November day, someone else had come.

Winter.

It was a sunny day, and she was rambling on about how she wanted to I outside. Instead, they were stuck with a boring math assignment. They had been friends for a couple of months now, and she had started feeling okay around him, not as scared or afraid as she had before. Now, it was something more like admiration, or fascination.

He had shrugged. "What can we do about it? Everyone says you're powerful enough to do your own thing, but to say the truth, you're not. Everyone and everything controls your life, whether you want it or not."

Moon had always loved those philosophical questions they had when they were together. It puzzled her so much that she always thought about it over the night, struggling to get a good answer for him. That was what Winter Absher was: a handsome, bright boy that sometimes thought about things nobody ever could get close to answering. 

I'm those few months, she has thought him as, well, inhuman. She didn't anymore, though. Everyone had weaknesses, and his was doubt. He couldn't see how good, how perfect, he truly was. He doubted himself. He doubted himself until he broke.

At that time, her answer had been quick. She had already thought about the question so many times. "We can always run. Run away from everything. From family, from school, and especially from horrible math teachers that assign partner work in a sunny day just to annoy us."

He flashed her one of his rare grins, only to disappear once again. It made her proud, though.

"We could. But the question is, would we?" He narrowed his eyes. "It means a ruined life. A ruined family, ruined records, ruined everything. Would you risk that just for your own pleasure?"

"Yes." She shrugged. She remembered admiring his ability to think ahead. That was one of her greatest flaws. She never thought about the consequences. "Well, maybe not alone. Maybe I had someone else with me. Maybe my mom. I don't know. I don't care if it ruins my life, but I don't want to ruin hers. I want to affect people positively with my actions, not negatively. But if I have to suffer because of my choices, so be it."