Chapter 56:

Previously on Friday afternoon: 

It started raining a bit while me, Yeona and Hajoon were in the coffee shop. We spent the time just talking about random stuff really. It was clear to them that I didn't want to talk about myself or anything that was happening to me currently, so they didn't push it. I was really thankful for that. Hajoon started to tell us a bit about himself, which made me realize that I didn't even really know anything about him. He didn't really go into any details just the basics. He has two siblings that are twins, both girls. They were about 14 at the time and he said although he wanted one of them to be a girl he actually got along with them pretty well. His father is in the military and has a pretty good ranking from my knowledge. 

I honestly found it surprising when he first told me this. I didn't and don't mean to sound rude but Hajoon was really sensitive and not really the toughest guy out there. So when he said his father is in the military it surprised me that he didn't know how to defend himself or other skills one would think the son of a military guy would have. As we continued to talk he let some things be shown to the light. 

"In all honesty, I don't really know my father..." he could see that both Yeona and I were utterly confused but didn't want to show it. 

"Wait, what do you mean?" she asked. 

"I don't really see him. Since I was born I've only seen him on the holidays, but that's if we are lucky." 

"Wow, that must be tough," I replied, leaning my arm on the table. 

"Yeah, it is. I mean we have video calls every now and then but it's not enough." It was at this time that I realized why Hajoon wasn't what I thought he would be. He grew up practically with no father and just a mother. He doesn't know how to defend himself because his father never had time to teach him. He continued talking on about other small things, like how when the father would come back on Christmas they would all sleep in the living room to be together until he had to leave again. Or how when he came for Chuseok they would all take the day off to bake and cook as much food humanly possible. The day before they would make care packages that his father would bring back for the soldiers that couldn't see their family during the holidays. 

Yeona didn't really talk either. It was clear that she didn't want to expose her family to Hajoon just yet. It wasn't exactly that she was ashamed of them but something that she didn't know if she wanted to be out in the light. She didn't know how this could affect their friendship. Would he still want to hang out with her if he knew? The answer is yes but again, something she didn't know at the time.  

"I'm sorry I have to leave so early," I said after hanging up the phone call. It was the officer that was on my case wanting me to meet him at the police station. 

"It's okay. Don't worry about it." They waved me off as I put on my jacket and made my way through the light rain. I walked the streets feeling my eyes burn from the bright lights of the cars in the darkness. 'It's about your uncle' my hands shuffled in my pockets as I thought about what was going to happen. My father had been imprisoned and is going to jail but now it brought up a more terrifying idea: living with a man I have no idea about. He could be a sociopath for all I know. He could be just like my father. 

I threw my hand up in the street as a saw the orange taxi come my way. it pulled over to the curb and I got in wiping the droplets of rain from my hair.