Chapter One

"Huh?" Harper stated blandly. She had been caught up in her own thoughts for what had seemed like the last hour, and Mr.Hendersons lesson wasn't very attention worthy. Learning about equations isn't very appealing, especially when you have better things to think about. For example: her parents behavior. This morning they seemed...off, to say the least. Her mom seemed very fidgety, wanting to do anything and everything with her hands. She was scrubbing at clean plates, picking at little imperfections on her coffee cup, and even going as far as sweeping the WHOLE kitchen floor when she dropped her apple. How would her apple be dirty if she just washed it? How would the "dirtiness" spread across the kitchen like wild fire? Moving away from her mom, onto her dad. Her dad kept looking everywhere but what was important. When he was pouring his morning cereal, he was staring out the window. When he sat down, he kept looking behind him, then up, then side to side like there was an annoying fly. It wasn't particularly weird or scary for her parents standards, but it was very, very unusual. "Hey!" Mr. Henderson stated in a firm voice. "For the second time this class, pay attention. You're not here to stare off into space, you're here to learn." With that being said, he walked back to the front of the classroom to finish his lesson. Unlike Mr.Henderson, Harper had more important matters taking up her mind. Anyways, how was she supposed to focus if she was so intrigued by something else? Harper continued with her thoughts like Mr.Hendersons words went in one ear and out the other.

  "I'm home!"Harper screamed once she walked through her front door. She honestly would rather be anywhere else than home. Her parents behavior irked her and her thoughts weren't helping. She was thinking along the lines of 'they're part of a gang' or 'they're smuggling drugs'. To be honest, it probably wasn't super far from the truth. Her parents did work for the FBI, so they encounter some pretty crazy stuff, and people. 'Harper, what are you thinking?' She said to herself. That probably made her seem even more crazy, but it snapped her out of her thought process. As she shuffled through her kitchen, she made her way to the living room. Her parents weren't there, but they're almost never home when she gets off the school bus. For some reason, she thought today would be different.

Her journey through her house stopped at her room. She smiled just thinking about her comfy bed. Her charger, speakers to blast music, and tv to catch up on CSI. You would probably think she's a little off because of how much she loves her room, but it's normal to her. Harpers family and friends, basically her whole life, is hectic. It's nice to finally be able to sit down and relax.

   As she closed her bedroom door,she breathed a big sigh of relief. 'I actually made it through the day'. she said with a smile. Then she heard a loud noise. Another noise sounded off, closer to her, while she was questioning what had just happened. She's watched enough CSI and cop shows to know it's better to be safe than sorry. No way her parents would be so clumsy to knock over at least 5 things on their way in through the door. And Harper was pretty sure they didn't come in through the door. 'Ummmm' she thought frantically. She looked around her room, thinking of a way to react. She can't hide, or really fight in this situation...

     Her window made a big CREEEEK noise when she opened it. She flinched but opened it as fast as she could so she could escape. Harper decided to step out on the roof, wait until the sound got closer, and then bolt. If they were  still downstairs when she ran, they could run out of the front door and catch her easily. If they were on the top floor, they would have to go out the same way she did; out the window. 'That makes sense?' She questioned. So much was happening at one time and it was to the point of utter confusion. Luckily, she had snuck out in the past so she didn't have to think too hard about this part. As soon as she heard footsteps down the hallway, she jumped. WHOOOSH. THUMP. CLUMP CLUMP CLUMP.' I swear if this is for nothing' She thought as she ran. Harper had no idea where she was going, but it was definitely away from her house. Her thoughts were flying through her mind about as fast as her heart was beating.
  At that point, she really realized the severity of the situation. 'Where are her parents? What is happening?' When she had been thinking, she caught a glimpse of the being inside her house. When she saw the persons face, she just happened to be turning a corner. She didn't even have time to hate on herself for poor timing, but Harper was 100% sure that wasn't her parents.' CRACKKK' her phone went on the sidewalk. 'If the can break into my house, they can track my phone.' She thought as she took deep breaths. Harper was trying to calm herself down, as well as get out of this negative state of mind. 'I'm okay, I'm thinking reasonably, I'm-' Her voice caught in her throat as she caught sight of a black van, coming right her way.