Chapter 11 The Rift Gives It's All

Start from the beginning

Hannibal Sikes was literally hauling arse down the open road whizzing by like a silver streak bolting down the desert highway. The Yamaha FLR1300A was breaking one hundred miles an hour without even hardly breaking a sweat. The open air whipping through his hair sending his beard flapping on each side of his broad wide neck and felt totally out of this world. Hannibal let loose with a hearty laugh that made a coyote out in the desert about a quarter mile away start looking around when he heard the fit of laughter. That out of this world reference just struck Hannibal's funny bone just right. But another side of Hannibal was worried as he was trying like Hell too raise Tonaka or Bryan on their collective comlinks. His jovial feeling died away even faster as Hannibal could not get Donovan nor for that matter even Mother too answer the com link. "This can not bode well for the home team." Hannibal stated the obvious aloud to himself. Something on the dashboard of the Yamaha caught his eye for only a mere millisecond as Hannibal knew for a fact too take one's eyes off the road could mean a freaking jack rabbit of a ground hog crossing the road could mean certain death for either animal as well as a certain big Russian flyer too boot. He was thankful too be out on the open road alone without any hint of vehicular traffic. But as a motorcycles go you are never completely open while you are flying down the road at hundred miles an hour. After making sure the road was clear for another fifty or so miles Hannibal glanced back down at the dashboard of the motorcycle which was all touch screen activated. There was a built in cellphone app on the dash so Hannibal pulled a blue tooth ear piece from his shirt pocket. He stuffed it into his left ear then dialed out a number on the punch keyboard. The number was a direct line too the Blackthorne home office back in North Carolina. In case of an emergency every field member knew that if you lost contact with your other team members. You could call directly into the home office and with a little work could be rerouted till you could reach a fellow team mate. Hannibal sensed that they were being jammed in one form or another from connecting any other team member. So with some help from the home office Hannibal hoped too find a way to get in contact with at least Mother. With her being an alien program Mother was always easy too get contact with in one form or another. Upon his first try Hannibal was unsuccessful but that didn't upset him as his beefy fingers danced over the small digital keyboard yet again. Hannibal typed in a complex group of numbers which he knew routed his next call through a number of hidden spy satellites that their prospective governments would completely lose their collective shit if they knew Hannibal was using these supposed top secret satellites. After only two rings a chipper office voice answered "Hello Blackthorne." a pleasant female voice spoke up. "This is employee 042. I have an communication emergency. Please patch me through please." Hannibal sounded all business like even adding a semi passable mid western accent. There was a three heart beat pause as Hannibal waited hoping beyond hope to get in contact with Mother then hopefully after that in contact with Jim Donovan. The home office knew the procedure of when a field employee called in with an emergency. After three more heart beats the operator came back. "Name please." She directed more than demanded. Hannibal raised an eyebrow mouthing too himself. "What the Hell." "Name Please?" the operator asked yet again this time a little more edge too her voice. Hannibal nodded too himself as he made a split second decision. " My first name is Jack." He replied a light airy tone in his voice. "The last name is Meoff." he added smiling too himself as he continued down the road. "That was Jack Meoff?" the operator queried with a touch of confusion in her voice. Hannibal let loose with a full body laugh that was loud enough too stop a coyote in its tracks a quarter mile back in the desert. "To whoever is on the line. Close but no cigar." Hannibal touched his bluetooth earbud disconnecting from the call. He had no idea who could have possibly snagged his call to the home office. But Hannibal did know that whomever did meant they are close by which just adds too his worry about what Tonaka and Bryan were possibly riding into. Hannibal wrenched down on the Yamaha's accelerator inching out every inch of power he could muster. The Yamaha's odometer inched up to one hundred ten miles an hour. He just hoped like Hades that all the jack rabbit's and groundhogs stay out of his way tonight. Hannibal wanted too get too the co ordinances that Mother had given him for the first Rift opening as soon as was humanly possible.