"...fine, just let me get changed first."

Shutting the door, I head to my stand dresser. The brown uniform inside sits pressed and clean, ready to be worn. My hand drags across the arm of the textured blazer. Three different skirts sit on hangers. One the style of Emilyse's, a medium length. Another of a longer length, falling just above the ankles and the third is mid-thigh length of the same color but instead with two parallel slits on the front.

Instead of pondering which to wear, I pull each of them off to try in front of my full body mirror. I put on the white button-up and pull the pre-tied tie over my head to secure it around my neck. I leave the blazer unbuttoned and quickly try on the shorter styled skirt since I am the height of a child.

The cotton fabric slides up my legs, fitting snug around my slim waist. Tucking in the white button-up, I zip up the zipper and fasten the hook. My eyes drag along the mirror's length at the perfectly fitted uniform. ...Now that I think about it...how did they know my measurements? And I mean in all the clothes they gave me...they all fit perfectly...

"Hey! Hurry up!" Lucian makes me lose my train of thought as the blares of an air horn suffocate my brain. ...I thought you left already...

I dig through the pullout drawers to find different length socks and an array of shoes. Mixing and matching the pairs, I decide which fit the best. Lucian's air horn, though, makes me quickly pull on white thigh high socks and the same black, high heel penny loafers as Emilyse wore. Before leaving the mirror, I glide my fingers through glistening gold locks up into a neat ponytail. Snatching my pre-set school bag from the ground, I prep myself in opening the door to find Lucian gone.

"Sigh, thank god..."

"Well, that's rude." Lucian exhales beside me.

My body jumps at the sound of his voice next to me, "Stop doing that!"

He chuckles, "Listen, I haven't been in contact with a human in years, let me have my fun."

...years? Lucian strolls down the hallway, and I follow behind slowly. Multiple students gather in the narrow hall while saying hello to Lucian to which he replies with a nod or smile.

...How old is Lucian? I understand vampires age differently than humans but...he still looks young along with these other kids. Mr. Average looks a bit older so...how do vampire years work?

"Hey blondie, hurry up!"

"Huh?" I glance up to find Lucian holding the elevator. While other students glare with malice. Awkwardly picking up the pace, about fifteen students squeeze into the elevator and silence quickly fills the atmosphere. ...Why are elevators always so awkw- eee! The cold pressure of someone's awful touch creeps it's way across my bare thigh. Ah! Hey! Who the hell-!?

I try to elbow the hand in a subtle way but suddenly another hand roughly wraps around my waist, sending unwanted chills up my spine. Ugh! Stop you creeps! I really don't want to make a scene...!

A forceful hand grips my upper arm, yanking me to the corner of the elevator. Gathering myself, I look up to find Lucian staring straight forward, arms crossed and not making eye contact. Did he...pull me away from that?

"I hope you know you'll eventually have to fight back. I won't always be there to help you," he whispers.

...He's right...they all look at me like I'm some toy...

"By the way," I glance up as Lucian continues. "Nice choice on the uniform. I like the ponytail."

My cheeks grow hot as I avert my eyes. Did he just...? No way...he's probably just being sarcastic as usual... Right?